Lounger
    Thanks

System Image / Back up Drive

Hello All:

Glenn here again with another question; this time about system image.

Ok: I know I'm supposed to make a system image so when I go Start> Control Panel>Action Center>Backup and Restore>Create a System Image, I get a dialog box labeled, Where do you want to save the backup? The first choice is (already checked) On A Hard Disk and it shows Seagate Free Agent Drive (J)

However when I view what is already on my Free Agent it seems to me that everything on my hard drive is already backed up: every thing on drive C. Is that not the same thing as a system image??????? Not just the files I have created but all those xml files and all that operating system stuff. (no geek/tech here). Just do not want to unnecessarily consume hard drive space.

If it is not the same would that be a good place to put the system image??????

I have already created a System Repair Disk.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

Glenn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Glenn,

If you can see what is on your Free Agent drive it is a copy of the files on your C: vs an Image.

You can copy program files but that does not install them on a drive. So if your C: drive bit the dust and you copied all those files back your system wouldn't boot! Because the programs would not be installed.

An Image is a byte for byte copy of your hard drive stored in a single or very few files which you can not see the contents of. When you restore an image it puts back on your C: drive the exact same pattern of bytes as was on there as when the image was created. Thus, you'll be able to boot the computer and run all your programs. I'm sure someone here can give you a more technical explanation and even a better non-technical one than this but I hope you understand the difference.

Your J: drive is the perfect place to place your image files. I'd create a separate directory on that drive to hold them.

BTW: Some third-party Imaging programs provide a Mount Image function which allows you to look inside the image and restore individual files and/or directories.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info and it makes sense, so now I have to figure out how to create a separate directory on the Free Agent drive. Maybe there will be some pointers in the manual I printed form the Seagate site.

Thanks
    Glenn,

Just go to the J: drive in Windows Explorer and click on the New Folder button.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi Glenn, If you need an imaging program, Macrium Reflect is highly recommended by many owners and its free. It can be D/L'ed from here
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    RR,

I'm curious does MR allow you to mount images to restore single files/directories?

Thanks.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for continued guidance, I now have a system image (I think) on my Free Agent backup drive. It created its own new folder WindowsImageBackup. However when I move the pointer over the folder it says it is empty although the dialog box said the backup was successful. If I try to open the folder it says I do not have permission to open it at this time and gives me an option on how to open it. I did not pursue that course as there really is no need to open it if the image is really in there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    RR,
    I'm curious does MR allow you to mount images to restore single files/directories?
    Thanks.
    Hi RG, thanks for your reply in other post, I use 2010 also but only do 'one click backups.
    From advice given on Windows 7 forums, I decided to try other imaging tools, it just so happened 'GOTD' was for Paragon Special Edition 10. I tried it on my laptop, it was total rubbish and took me 2 days to fix. I had intended trying MR but am reluctant to do so.
    If you want to read W7 forums rhreads its here
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    RR,

Thanks.
    I believe this article does show that this can be done, but since I do not use MR I am not sure of the viability of this. I know Acronis does allow this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Last night i created a system image to my backup (J) Free Agent drive. It made its own folder WindowsImageBackup and the dialog box on my screen said it was successful. However when I go to Properties for that folder it says size on disk (0 bytes). 0 files & 0 folders. But then some folks refer to the system image as a "ghost image". Do I just assume it is all there????????

It took several minutes to create and my Free Agent was definitely running so I know something went somewhere.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-01-29 at 10:44. Reason: Merged this post into this thread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    It seems you need administrative privileges to see the folder contents, so maybe run Windows Explorer as an Administrator and then browse the folder.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAgHunter View Post
    Last night i created a system image to my backup (J) Free Agent drive. It made its own folder WindowsImageBackup and the dialog box on my screen said it was successful. However when I go to Properties for that folder it says size on disk (0 bytes). 0 files & 0 folders. But then some folks refer to the system image as a "ghost image". Do I just assume it is all there????????

It took several minutes to create and my Free Agent was definitely running so I know something went somewhere.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
    Hi AuAgHunter,

What you are seeing is normal. Here is an excerpt about Windows Backup (Windows 7) from the book Windows 7 Inside Out by Bott, Siechert, and Stinson:

"If you use Windows Explorer to browse to your backup folders, when you rest the mouse pointer over a folder name, the pop-up tip might identify it as an "Empty folder." Alarmed, you right-click the folder and choose Properties, only to find that the folder apparently contains 0 bytes, 0 files, and 0 folders. Don't worry. This is the normal condition when your backups are stored on an NTFS volume, because by default, only the System user account has permission to view the files. (That's a reasonable security and reliability precaution, which prevents you or another user from inadvertently deleting a key backup file.)"

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2011-01-29)