New Lounger
    Thanks

USB Hub keeps Win Vista from starting

I was using a 4 port USB hub with no problems on my Gateway with Vista 64 installed. The hub failed so I replaced it with a powered 7 port hub. With the 7 port hub in place, Windows will not boot and the computer freezes at a black screen, sometimes with the Microsoft Corp wording displayed very, very dimly. Tried booting without powering the hub with no improvement. Hub manufacturer CS tried to help but couldn't solve the problem. Computer boot sequence is DVD, internal HD, USB. Unplugging the hub from the computer allows it to startup per usual. Adding the hub after startup lets the hub work as it should. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Larry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Some weirdness with the USB controller on your machine not being happy with a load on the USB connector before it is initialized?
    Maybe your power supply is having trouble keeping up at power up?
    Does Windows re-boot or is it at power up only?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi Larry, and welcome to the Lounge!

Your new 7 port powered USB hub might have a fault. Would it be easy to exchange it? If not, can you test it on another computer?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A followup to the original post. All efforts, including those here, failed to fix the problem. I returned the Arkview hub and got a new APC 7-port hub and it worked like a charm. Never a moments problem.

Thanks
    Glad you solved the problem. Sometimes it is just a hardware failure. Thanks for posting your success.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill