Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Win Se7en SP1 ???

Blazing new grounds here. I tried the SP1 download, got the .iso file and burnt it to a DVD. Installed too. End of process.

As it rebooted, I heard the fan in this Acer go wild, I checked "Task Manager" and the duo-CPUs were going full blast at 100%, I waited a few minutes and they cycled between 60% and 100% all the time, mostly 100%. This machine normally runs between 1% to 25 %. I rebooted again, no change. At this moment, it runs at 2% to 5%, after TM is running when it spikes at 84% for a nano-second then settles. Not the end of the story.

I then went to Restore and selected the saved conditions before this was attempted, it would not restore, I got a blue screen, not a BSoD, a full blue screen, empty and the only action that I could take was Ctrl-Alt Del with a repeat of the nice blue screen.

A clone saved my day. Anybody else with the same or different experience ? I could not find a like complaint in the SP1 forum.

Jean.

Thanks
    A beta is a beta.

I would strongly advise against anyone installing SP1 Beta without having an up-to-date drive image available.

I personally will wait for the official release to show up in Windows Update, and then wait for a couple more months.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I too will definitely wait for the official release of SP1. I have had no real negative issues with the RTM Windows 7 release and plan to wait for reviews and reports on SP1 long enough for the dust to settle.

It is a good thing you had your clone ready, Jean!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

clone !

DD81, hello.

>>> It is a good thing you had your clone ready, Jean!

No matter what Ted says, I go for clones. With this clone, I could afford to be daring, a lesson learned but it was challenging.

Be good. . . . Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    DD81, hello.

>>> It is a good thing you had your clone ready, Jean!

No matter what Ted says, I go for clones. With this clone, I could afford to be daring, a lesson learned but it was challenging.

Be good. . . . Jean.
    Hi Jean,

Well, if you had two images, instead of a single clone, you could be double daring .

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    I do not see how a Clone on a separate HD would have solved this problem any quicker than an Image stored on an Ext HD. By the time you installed the separate HD you could have restored from the Image (It takes 7 minutes on my system). Either option will work. The Image takes up far less space than the Clone. I guess this is a case of 6 of one versus half a dozen of another. It's all in how you feel comfortable doing your backups. Jean Clones, I Image. The key here is to just do something.

I also am glad you had something to fall back to. I will also hold off on the SP1 until as Gerald states "The dust settles" Since I have kept up on updates, I do not see a need at this time to try the SP.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy