New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Fax and Scan app

Updated to Win 7/Office 2010 Pro in Dec 2010. I have a very good client (he pays on time), who is happy to have my invoice by fax.

Coming to the first this year I clicked on Print/Fax only to find an error message, "this cannot be sent at this time etc etc."

I checked the modem in Device Manager, driver OK, this device is working.

Went to Start/All programs/Windows Fax and Scan and ran through the wizard, attached the file and clicked Send. Another error message,"no fax accounts have been set up contact your system admin."

Help and Support only threw me back at the wizard and round and round we go again.

Grabbing my trusty "Windows 7 for Dummies", I must surely find the answer. But No! The word fax isn't even mentioned.

Eventually I copied the file over to my XP backup pc and sent it from there.

What to do if I didn't have a backup or if I upgrade the backup to Win7 later this year?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    In Windows Fax and Scan -> Tools, choose Fax Accounts. Do you have any accounts there?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is weird, I was in and out of that window the other day, trying to set this up and got nowhere. The Add button threw me back on the enigmatic wizard with the unanswerable question.

Today it seems there is an account called fax modem and using local fax (default) as server. I don't want to try it now but tomorrow, Monday, I'll check who else still has a fax and try a test message.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have a similar account that was created automatically, by Windows, for the existing modem (on my laptop). Probably you will be successful this time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Rui. Que Tal ?

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I have a similar account that was created automatically, by Windows, for the existing modem (on my laptop). Probably you will be successful this time.
    I used the FAX app in Win-7 and never had to set up any account of any kind. I just connected an RJ-11, typed the message and sent it. No muss, no fuss ! I just looked up the app now and I do not see where I need to start this account. Not on this machine, it has no modem, on the Toshiba laptop there is one.

You be good. . . . . Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

Tudo bem .

I also have a modem on the laptop, but hadn't used it after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. So I went to look it up and it was there, with an account. I never had to create anything either.

Regards

Rui