2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question What is that sound?

Every day or so, some background process runs and plays a sound (and makes the cursor blink once) that sounds like a big bubble popping. This has been going on since I got Win7 a year ago. Several times I've looked through Event Viewer, but I can't find anything that has happened at the time of the popping noise. Of course, this is not a serious problem, just a curiosity. I used to think it was Norton security stuff, but got rid of that for MSE, so it's neither of those.

Anyone have any ideas about how I could do a better search for what has happened at that time, other than my manual perusing of the Event Viewer?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The place to check is Sounds. Right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of the screen to select Sounds. Then go through the sounds by highlighting each one and using the Test button. You can also get to Sounds by typing it in the Start Box. When you find it, you can change it to None or something else. When you are finished selecting sounds, save it by selecting a name for your sound scheme. You can also select different schemes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mlg63 For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-01-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, mlg63, good idea. I looked through that. The sound that plays is not used in my current Windows scheme. I think, though, that it is the same sound that was the default sound in ClipMate (a clip manager program, always running) which plays when capturing a clip. I changed that assignment to another sound, but haven't yet heard either again (except when capturing a clip). The strange part of it is that I found and played every .wav sound on my PC, and did not find that sound, even though it is the unnamed 'default' sound for capturing a clip, and all of the other sound choices in ClipMate are .wav sounds. Perhaps the volume is varied, causing me to not recognize it. I'll have to wait for it to happen again, to see if it plays that newly assigned ClipMate sound, meaning that is the culprit program, or still plays the old sound, meaning I still have some looking to do.
    Last edited by cws; 2011-01-29 at 16:18.

Thanks
    There has to be an option in the Clipmate app that allows the sound to be shut off I would think. Find that option and shut it down. I can not point to the exact location since I do not use this app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    There has to be an option in the Clipmate app that allows the sound to be shut off I would think. Find that option and shut it down. I can not point to the exact location since I do not use this app.
    My objective is to find the app making the sound. I think my tactic of changing the sound is much more logical than turning it off, but thanks, anyway. BTW, I have yet to hear it again, but it's been only about a day.

Thanks
    If I were feeling ambitious I might start to look for the mystery sound by going through the root directoy for all my installed programs. When you stumble across it, you could attempt to disable it from within the properties of the program or application itself.

It's hard to tell you what to look for, I don't know the software environment of your computer. It might be especially difficult if your computer is a store bought one loaded with many apps users may typically be unaware of, hence the need for good decrapifying programs for these types of installations.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, I didn't go through root directories, specifically, but I did a search of the C drive (which includes them) to find all .wav files. I presume that the sound IS a .wav file, but I guess there could be another kind. It is interesting that ClipMate sounds, available via Options in that program, do not include (by name) the "default" sounds for each function; it only includes the 'other' optional sounds. Maybe the default sounds are some other file type. I'll look through those directories. Thanks for the idea.

Edit: BTW, it's a Dell, and doesn't have a lot of crapware left on it.

Edit, again: I looked. Didn't find anything.
    Last edited by cws; 2011-01-30 at 23:22.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cws View Post
    My objective is to find the app making the sound. I think my tactic of changing the sound is much more logical than turning it off, but thanks, anyway. BTW, I have yet to hear it again, but it's been only about a day.
    Well, I finally heard it happen again - it was still the original sound, not the new one I assigned to ClipMate, so it's apparently not that program doing it.

EDIT: I found it. It is Windows Update, checking for updates.
    Last edited by cws; 2011-02-02 at 20:27. Reason: Solved!!!

Thanks
    I had a weird sound popping up intermittently on my laptop as well. I tracked it down to a weather alert which was running as a FF add-on. I disabled and haven't heard it for a week now so this thread got me curious and I solved mine too :-)
    Take a sad song and make it better