Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slide scanner question

I've got the proverbial "ton" of 35mm slides I'd like to scan. I know I'll need a transparency scanner of some sort. Right now, I've got an HP Scanjet 4p SCSI scanner hooked up to my desktop that I use for scanning photo prints, etc.

I'm torn between the "purpose-built" slide scanners, that only scan slides and negatives, and flatbed scanners that have transparency adapters. I've seen the "purpose built" slide scanners for $70 to $150. They're an attractive option. The ION model is one that I've seen. It's $99 at Staples.

However, I've seen some relatively inexpensive flatbed scanners that have transparency adapters built in. The Epson Photo V330 (I think that's the model number) comes to mind, and I've seen it for $129 or so at places like Staples.

My scanner needs are pretty basic. I realize that the best scanners aren't cheap. However, I just want to be able to get decent quality scans for sharing and printing. I'm not looking for "gallery-quality scans".

The question is: Which would be a better choice? The single-purpose slide scanner can be used on either the desktop or the laptop. However, by the same token, so can the flatbed scanner with the transparency adapter.

As it stands right now, I can't use the HP Scanjet on my laptop, due to the obvious lack of a SCSI interface.

All suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

Thanks
    Here is one option which I have found from The National Geographic store which has worked wonderfully called VuPoint Film Scanner. I bought one 2 years ago, but this is an upgraded version with a color display. It's a great price and comparable to those you have looked at.

VuPoint Digital scanner

We wandered around the backwoods of Paraguay and Brazil and have about 1000 slides that we used for presentations upon our return to the 'States. This has worked wonderfully and may be something to consider.

"Preserve and share your travel memories with this easy-to-use slide and film scanner. Relive adventures past and easily share them with friends and family by archiving aging media as digital files for convenience and piece of mind. Connects to most Mac and PC computers via a USB port, and features a 2 3/8" TFT color display for instant review.
    "
    Take a sad song and make it better

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That's one to consider. I don't think the ION model I've seen in Staples and other places has an LCD display like that one does. I see the description says that it scans images to JPG files. I'm assuming that's if you scan them onto an SD/SDHC memory card which the scanner supports. I'm wondering if you can use it as a scanner in your photo editing app of choice (I use Microsoft's Digital Image Pro v10), and choose the format you want to use. I scan mine to .PNG by default.

Thanks
    I never purchased an SD/SDHC memory card which is optional. My model of this scanner doesn't have the LCD display :-( but the pictures open in my Windows Picture and Fax viewer on my XP and you can change the format you wish to save them in to .png as well. I saved them to a folder on my XP and then changed that to a DVD/RW so I didn't have to transfer them later. You use your own favorite photo editing program for an revisions etc. It sounds like you are looking for a more advanced scanner, and I'm sure others will have suggestions which will suit your needs :-)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know that I need a very advanced scanner. The big thing is decent quality, and will work with my photo editing program. As long as the scanner shows up in Windows as an available imaging device, any photo editor *should* work with it.

Thanks
    Yes, I've used Picasa and Irfanview and also Gimp online for editing and I've been pleased with the results; of course the majority of my slides are 30+ years old. Once they are saved, you can do anything you like with them. I would say the quality of the image depends on the quality of the slides. I am very tempted to just go get this upgraded one with the LCD color display because I still have quite a few to transfer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeyJude For This Useful Post:

dkmac (2011-02-09)