New Lounger
    Thanks

new user for a SBS 2003 domain

i have a computer that was used by USER-A. That user has a new computer and now the computer is going to another user, USER-B. how do i go about changing the user on the old computer to USER-B, and then get the "add computer wizard" to do its' thing with the new the user and hopefully keep the computer name. BTW the computer name is not really important and i am willing to change that.
    thanks
    richard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do not change the computer name in a domain. Once you have joined a computer to the domain it is there for life.
    Give the new computer a new name and join it to the domain - use the computer serial number as the name to make it easy to track.
    Now you can log on to either machine as any domain user.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Do not change the computer name in a domain. Once you have joined a computer to the domain it is there for life.
    I don't know why you say this, because it is quite possible to remove a PC from a domain (by adding it to a, perhaps dummy, workgroup, renaming it there, then adding it back to the domain again. I agree that there isn't any real point to this action, and it's so much better if a PC stays with its name unaltered throughout its life (and, in addition, that its name never gets reused for a replacement domain PC).

Perhaps the real question is whether USER-A's profile can be transferred to the new PC, and here we might be getting into Roaming Profiles...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BATcher, we are essentially saying the same thing. Once joined there is no need to change the name.

If the question is about profiles it is a much more in depth discussion than computer names.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hey guys, USER_A all ready has his new computer and working fine. what i need is how do i get USER_B on the domain. i think the last time i tried it did not work. think i added a user to the domain and then logged onto the domain with the user name. what happen was i did not get the home directory or outlook working.
    richard

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The easiest method of creating a new user that works is to copy an existing one.
    The home drive is set under Profile.
    Outlook wont work if you haven't created a mail enabled user in Exchange and then set the name of the Exchange server in Outlook.

cheers, Paul