1. 2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks

Missing address book in Outlook 2007 account

I can't seem to stay out of trouble no matter what I do or, put another way, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. In the process of trying to do an Acronis backup I found (was told by various and sundry) that my hard drive (probably) had a problem.

I feel like I need to give you all some background info and I apologize in advance to the length of this post. Dell sent out a technician (Jan. 25) to change out the hard drive, motherboard and memory. It sounded to me like Dell was taking a shotgun approach but I figured that could not do any harm. The tech changed out the motherboard and memory and then found that they were (both) defective. He put in the new HD and started the install of Windows 7 from the included image and left. That ran for a long time and after I determined it was in a loop I shut it down. Two days later we repeated the process with another technician- the motherboard and memory checked out OK. We got the same initial result with the HD installation so the tech called Dell to tell them that the included image was probably bad. They told him to use the recovery disk that came with the computer and Win 7 then installed OK.

Now the fun began! The old hard drive was still functional and I was desperate to salvage as much as I could from it. Rather than screw it up myself I called Dell and was only able to get any help by paying them $90 to take over my machine and effect a transfer of as much as they could. I can't believe I did that but I did. I have been working ever since to get back up and running and, other than still needing to reinstall a boatload of apps, I am in reasonable shape.

Now, finally, to my problem. The last real sticking point (so far) is with Outlook 2007. I had two accounts in Outlook on the "old" hard drive, one for myself and one for my wife and wanted to have the same again. I created the two accounts/profiles and was able to get everything set up in my account correctly. I had to make a couple passes to get the correct data file (.pst) which had been brought over from the old drive. All of folders/subfolders are correct as is my address book. However, that is not the case with my wife's account. I believe that I have the correct data file for her since all the folders and saved mail are correct. However, that is not the case with the address book- it is empty! I thought that the address book was contained in the .pst file so I am at a loss to know what is going on. I do know that my wife is going to hurt me, real bad, if I don't get her address book back soon.

If anyone has any words of wisdom or can shed any light on this problem, you have no idea how much I would appreciate it!!! Again, my apologies for the length of this post.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Is the contacts folder empty? If not, you need to add them to your address book as described here. If the Contacts folder is empty, click on the address book icon and select Outlook Address book in the drop down list under Address Book to see if your email addresses are there.
    If none of this works, try File > Import export > import from another program or file > next > personal folder file and browse to your backup file and then follow the correct prompts to select contacts.
    Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ExiledMainer (2011-01-30)

5. 2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    Jerry-

Hallelujah! Thanks a million- my wife now has a useable address book and my life may no longer be in jeopardy! To get to the address book is still a little funky- when I click on the address book icon a dialog box comes up and you have to scroll down to get to the active one which I named "KBY Address Book". This will probably confuse my essentially computer illiterate frau but I am sure she can handle it. What would be really nice would be to have the right address book coming up automatically when clicking on the address book icon but what we have is workable as opposed to the earlier condition!

Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Jerry Young (breathing a sigh of relief!)