Thanks

Unhappy Odd XP Home Error

I have a XP home PC that when it is booted up gives this message \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM MISSING OR CORRUPT.
    What can cause this and what can be done to fix it?
    where did that info go if it is missing?
    I was able to go on line with another PC and found many different ideas that claimed to fix the problem, but none seem to do the trick.
    I was also able to set up the hard drive with this problem a a slave on another PC and was able to read and copy most of the important info that was on it.

Please reply
    Catz

Thanks
    Hi pauliez,

Try booting to an XP installation CD and entering Recovery Console to run the 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' commands, just in case one of those fix your issue. While in Recovery Console, try running "chkdsk /r" without the quote marks to see what results. If no joy, and if you are comfortable in opening your computer, check to confirm all connections are tight and secure, such as hard drive power connectors and data connectors, etc. etc. Also remove your RAM sticks and reseat them one at a time to be sure they are secure. Be sure to discharge any static electricity build up before touching the components.

Some system files are corrupt, and it might have something to do with the health of your hard drive or memory. Download and run hard disk test diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer's support site to thoroughly check out your disk. Also, if you do not have a copy of Memtest, download a copy of the ISO to burn a bootable CD to run testing on your RAM. Unless you see some errors show pretty quick, you should run the Memtest overnight or for around twelve hours to do a thorough check. You can download Memtest here. If you need cd burning software you can download ImgBurn here.

I would do a repair install (keeps your programs and data safe) of XP by booting to the XP install CD only after confirming your hardware to be in good health. You should be sure to use an XP install CD that incorporates the same service pack as your XP install on the troubled disk. If you have XP SP3 installed and only have an XP SP2 install CD, then check this site for a tutorial on slipstreaming SP3 into your XP SP2.

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-01-30 at 15:07.

Thanks
    I booted to an XP installation disk and entered the recovery console. When it gets to C:\WINDOWS> do I enter in front of that fixboot or fixmbr and hit enter.

I tried chkdsk /r and it did not recognize the command.
    All connectors are connected and I checked the disk with WD Diagnostic tool and there is nothing wrong with the disk.
    It is in good health.
    Swapped out the ram sticks for two known good ones and still got the same error message.

Is there a way to find the missing or corrupt file on the installation disk and copy it to the OS that it is missing ore bad on?

How do I do a repair install?

I don't see any way of doing that with my installation disk.

I only have an XP home install disk.
    Catz

Thanks
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-01-30 at 20:56.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This article shows how to recover from a crashed Windows XP, using the recovery console. What I find interesting for your case is that the recovery is done simply by retrieving the adequate system files from restore points. Among the stuff to recover are precisely the contents of c:\windows\system32\config\system. So, if you read the article and apply the recommendations that deal solely with c:\windows\system32\config\system, it is most likely that you will recover from the current situation.
    If you feel that you could do with some help regarding what you need to do just for your specific situation, please post. As the procedure is basically a manual procedure to go back to a restore point, following the full procedure wouldn't do any harm, anyway.

HTH

Regards

Rui