New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Word high CPU usage

Hi all,
    Whenever I open a Word document, my CPU % goes through the roof and my cooling fan runs continuously.
    I have repaired the program on several occasions which solves the problem for a week or so but then it comes right back. I have done and uninstall/reinstall and that did not solve the problem.
    I do not believe it's a virus, as I scan continuously.
    By the way, even when I close the Word document, the program continues to run in my Resource Monitor, and continues to hog my CPU.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks
    Does this only happen with one particular file, or many different files?

Does it matter whether it is a native file (e.g., .doc for Word 97-2003, .docx for Word 2007-2010) or a converted format? Which version are you running?

Do the problem files contain any linked content (e.g., images from the web) or embedded content (e.g., Excel worksheets)?

Edit: I think some antivirus programs may install an add-in in Word. If your software does that, you might want to turn off that feature and see whether it makes a difference. Of course, you want to keep general real-time protection enabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Does this only happen with one particular file, or many different files?"

It happens with different Word files.

"Does it matter whether it is a native file (e.g., .doc for Word 97-2003, .docx for Word 2007-2010) or a converted format? Which version are you running?"

Not sure about the above, as I've recently started using Office 2010 and converting my Word 2003 documents. Off the top of my head it seems to happen when I convert a 2003 document and open it in 2010, but I'm not 100% sure of this. I'll pay more attention in the future. I'm using Microsoft Office Home & Student for 2010

"Do the problem files contain any linked content (e.g., images from the web) or embedded content (e.g., Excel worksheets)?"

To the best of my knowledge, the file contain no linked or embedded content.

Edit: I think some antivirus programs may install an add-in in Word. If your software does that, you might want to turn off that feature and see whether it makes a difference. Of course, you want to keep general real-time protection enabled."

It happens with different word files.

I run two antivirus programs. Microsoft Security Essentials & Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper. I am uninstalling the Webroot and I'll see if that clears up the problem.

Thanks for your help