Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem sending email from Outlook 2003

I have a laptop which I use at work and at home, with Windows XP and Office 2003. At work it connects into the office LAN and at home it connects via our home wifi network. For ages I have taken it to and fro and never had any problems sending or receiving emails (using Outlook 2003) at either end.

Last week, my laptop was replaced with a newer model running Windows 7 but still Office 2003. I copied across all my office settings using the Microsoft Office 'Save my Settings' Wizard.

Everything worked well on the new laptop including receiving emails until I discovered I couldn't send any emails from Outlook. Each time I tried to send/receive I got an error message 0x80042109. I googled this and followed many of the suggestions I found, including changing the outgoing port from 25 to 587, 465 etc. Nothing worked. However, I eventually found a suggestion on my ISP's website suggesting changing the SMTP server from mail.dormen.org.uk to smtp.orangehome.co.uk. This solved the problem and outgoing emails began to flow again. However, back in the office, I had to put mail.dormen.org.uk back again.

At least I now have a temporary solution to the problem, but it is going to be very frustrating if I have to keep changing things round. I wonder if anyone can:

a. suggest why the new laptop doesn't work with the old SMTP server? Might there be another way of solving the problem?

b. if not, is there a way of setting things so I don't have all the palaver of changing things round every time I go between home and office and vice versa?

Many thanks,

V

Thanks
    I wonder whether you have had your IT check your settings after the transfer to make sure nothing got lost? Usually you need to check the box to authenticate to the outgoing mail server with your same username and password as the one used to retrieve mail. Some mail servers may have additional requirements.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Not only did I check that the Outlook account settings were identical with the old laptop ones, but I also created a new account from scratch and that didn't work either!