I want to defrag a 1TB external USB drive using MyDefrag. The defrag works fine on the local drive and I can access the USB drive to read and write happily.
When I try to defrag the USB drive the program gets a couple of % through the analysis phase, and stops.
I tried chkdsk on the disk and it repeatedly reports:
"The deleting of the USN Journal is in progress.
Your volume cannot be checked at this time.
Please wait a few minutes and try again."
So I did some google searching and tried to remove the USN journal using
"fsutil usn deletejournal /D e:"
and get another error message saying "the volume change journal is not active".
I'm guessing that there's a problem with the USN journal which is causing problems with the defrag getting low level access to the Windows API.