Thanks

New Problem: No Edit Post Button

All of a sudden today, the Edit Post Button is missing from ALL my previous posts, those from the old Lounge and those from the new Lounge, even those replies I posted yesterday. What gives???

I do on occasion have more info to add to a previous post, but suddenly can't. This seems to be a change from yesterday, unless I just did not see this before.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Ted,

Sorry to ask, is this a new post? I'm sure I have seen it before...

From what I can figure out from a previous admin reply, it seems there is a time limit to edit posts you have made. There seems to be a 15 minutes default interval after the post, during which editing would be allowed, but the actual value for this board hasn't been stated clearly, as far as I know.

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    You're right. It is 15 minutes to edit a post. If you need an edit after that time, just click the Report Post button (triangle with an exclamation mark on the bottom left of a post) and a moderator will assist.

We are still in discussion with staff on setting an appropriate post edit time cutoff.

Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, there was not a 15 minute limit on the old Lounge. This seems a rather short time limit. Why?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think there should be any time limit on editing a message.

If a reader misunderstands a message 3 weeks after its posted because its a bit ambiguous, then the OP should be able to edit the original message to remove the ambiguity.

Why should it need a mod to intervene - sounds like a "make-work" scheme to me

This is an information bulletin board, its not a parliamentary or court transcript.

When a message is edited the OP should include a reason eg "typo", "remove ambiguity", "clarify" etc - maybe make that mandatory.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [Found this thread via a search] I concur. I just noticed this limit myself as I went to edit an OP with the solution (and to add [solved] to the title). Having a mandatory explanation would be nice. Some suggestions:
    Typo
    Clarify
    Solution or solved
    additional information (like more about the computer or something else the created forgot to post).

Quote Originally Posted by northwood2222 View Post
    I don't think there should be any time limit on editing a message.

If a reader misunderstands a message 3 weeks after its posted because its a bit ambiguous, then the OP should be able to edit the original message to remove the ambiguity.

Why should it need a mod to intervene - sounds like a "make-work" scheme to me

This is an information bulletin board, its not a parliamentary or court transcript.

When a message is edited the OP should include a reason eg "typo", "remove ambiguity", "clarify" etc - maybe make that mandatory.

Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    You're right. It is 15 minutes to edit a post. If you need an edit after that time, just click the Report Post button (triangle with an exclamation mark on the bottom left of a post) and a moderator will assist.

We are still in discussion with staff on setting an appropriate post edit time cutoff.
    How about 15 DAYS, instead, if you insist on a cutoff?

Thanks
    You can edit indefinitely now. After a short period of time from initially posting, a message will be displayed noting the post has been edited. I don't see any reason to limit this here.

Thanks
    You can edit indefinitely now. After a short period of time from initially posting, a message will be displayed noting the post has been edited. I don't see any reason to limit this here.