New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2007 copy-and-paste glitch?

If I have Word or Excel open, I can copy and paste between applications without any trouble. If, on the other hand, I copy or cut something from another application before opening the relevant MS Office 2007 application, then when I do open it I cannot paste the copied item. Once open, I can "re-copy" and paste and it works as advertised.

Steps to reproduce:

1. With Word NOT open, highlight some text in a browser or other application and copy (either Edit -> Copy or ctrl-c).
    2. Open MS Word 2007
    3. Attempt to paste (either Edit -> Paste or ctrl-v). Nothing will happen.
    4. With Word still open, go back to browser or other application and copy a second time.
    5. Attempt to paste into Word. This time it will work.

Expected Result:

* The copied text should be pasted at step 3.

Actual Result:

* The copied text is not pasted until step 5.

So, is this a bug or a feature? It certainly is annoying.

Thanks
    Henry,

Welcome to the lounge.
    I followed your steps and had no problem pasting into Word 2007 via Ctrl+V. I'm using a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2007. There must be something else going on with your setup. Can you provide any other info?

Update: I went back and tried it with the Paste button on the Ribbon and that also worked as it should.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-01-31 at 14:14. Reason: More Information
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is usually because a third party add-in is messing with Word or there's some other utility messing with the clipboard. To see if it is a Word add-in causing the problem, Copy something with Word closed, then press the Windows button and type in

winword /a

and press enter (Word will open to a blank page). Now press Ctrl+V to paste the copied data. If it works, it is a third party add-in in Word that is the problem. If it doesn't work, then it is a third party utility that is interrupting the clipboard.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rather than a 3rd party add-in causing problems could it be the Office Clipboard itself?

This link shows how to disable it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that the Babylon add-in for Word causes this problem, and have disabled it in Word 2010.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have this problem too in all Office 2007 applications, including Outlook. If the applications are already open, no problem, I can copy and paste between them. If I copy from anywhere before opening the application, the clip board becomes empty as soon as the Office application opens that I want to paste to. I have to make sure all the Office applications are open before I can copy and paste between them.

Possible cause: sometimes an Office 2007 application brings up a dialog box that says I have a lot of data in the clipboard, and asks if I want to keep it in the clipboard for other applications after quitting the Office appliation. I suspect that I may have selected 'no' at one time, and now nothing is saved in the clipboard, nor is there the dialog box. Maybe it is a registry setting?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Me too... some times

I have this happen to me occasionally in Word 2007 as well, but not all the time. I have not been able to re-produce the problem on demand, but many times Word just fails to paste the last copied item. Instead, I get the previous item!!

This is not really helpful, but I needed to share my pain

Running on Win XP Pro SP3

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelane2 View Post
    Possible cause: sometimes an Office 2007 application brings up a dialog box that says I have a lot of data in the clipboard, and asks if I want to keep it in the clipboard for other applications after quitting the Office appliation. I suspect that I may have selected 'no' at one time, and now nothing is saved in the clipboard, nor is there the dialog box. Maybe it is a registry setting?
    No, that dialog is very common and is a one-time decision. More likely you have an unnoticed add-on that is causing the problem.