New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2007 copy-and-paste glitch?

If I have Word or Excel open, I can copy and paste between applications without any trouble. If, on the other hand, I copy or cut something from another application before opening the relevant MS Office 2007 application, then when I do open it I cannot paste the copied item. Once open, I can "re-copy" and paste and it works as advertised.

Steps to reproduce:

1. With Word NOT open, highlight some text in a browser or other application and copy (either Edit -> Copy or ctrl-c).
    2. Open MS Word 2007
    3. Attempt to paste (either Edit -> Paste or ctrl-v). Nothing will happen.
    4. With Word still open, go back to browser or other application and copy a second time.
    5. Attempt to paste into Word. This time it will work.

Expected Result:

* The copied text should be pasted at step 3.

Actual Result:

* The copied text is not pasted until step 5.

So, is this a bug or a feature? It certainly is annoying.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Henry,

Welcome to the lounge.
    I followed your steps and had no problem pasting into Word 2007 via Ctrl+V. I'm using a Dell Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2007. There must be something else going on with your setup. Can you provide any other info?

Update: I went back and tried it with the Paste button on the Ribbon and that also worked as it should.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-01-31 at 13:14. Reason: More Information
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is usually because a third party add-in is messing with Word or there's some other utility messing with the clipboard. To see if it is a Word add-in causing the problem, Copy something with Word closed, then press the Windows button and type in

winword /a

and press enter (Word will open to a blank page). Now press Ctrl+V to paste the copied data. If it works, it is a third party add-in in Word that is the problem. If it doesn't work, then it is a third party utility that is interrupting the clipboard.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rather than a 3rd party add-in causing problems could it be the Office Clipboard itself?

This link shows how to disable it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that the Babylon add-in for Word causes this problem, and have disabled it in Word 2010.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have this problem too in all Office 2007 applications, including Outlook. If the applications are already open, no problem, I can copy and paste between them. If I copy from anywhere before opening the application, the clip board becomes empty as soon as the Office application opens that I want to paste to. I have to make sure all the Office applications are open before I can copy and paste between them.

Possible cause: sometimes an Office 2007 application brings up a dialog box that says I have a lot of data in the clipboard, and asks if I want to keep it in the clipboard for other applications after quitting the Office appliation. I suspect that I may have selected 'no' at one time, and now nothing is saved in the clipboard, nor is there the dialog box. Maybe it is a registry setting?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Me too... some times

I have this happen to me occasionally in Word 2007 as well, but not all the time. I have not been able to re-produce the problem on demand, but many times Word just fails to paste the last copied item. Instead, I get the previous item!!

This is not really helpful, but I needed to share my pain

Running on Win XP Pro SP3

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelane2 View Post
    Possible cause: sometimes an Office 2007 application brings up a dialog box that says I have a lot of data in the clipboard, and asks if I want to keep it in the clipboard for other applications after quitting the Office appliation. I suspect that I may have selected 'no' at one time, and now nothing is saved in the clipboard, nor is there the dialog box. Maybe it is a registry setting?
    No, that dialog is very common and is a one-time decision. More likely you have an unnoticed add-on that is causing the problem.