Thread: USB 3.0 Problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

USB 3.0 Problem

I recently purchased a Seagate Freeagent Goflex external hard drive w/USB 3.0 connector, and an Express Card/34, USB 3.0 adapter, for my Sony VGN-NS240E laptop. The drivers seemed to install correctly, (no problem indicators,) in Device Manager. However, the drive is not recognized in the "My Computer" screen.

The drive works correctly when connected to a USB 2.0 port W/USB 2.0 adapter.
    I have tried other drivers that I found on the internet, same problem.

I tried a different Express Card, same problem.

O/S: Windows 7 Home Prem./32

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Thanks, Phil G

Thanks
    Hi Phil, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you checked with Sony Support to confirm the motherboard on your laptop is capable of supporting USB 3.0 technology? If it is not, that would explain why the Freeagent only works when you connect it to USB 2.0 ports. I did a quick check and found the latest BIOS and chipset update available for Windows 7 was issued in October 2009.

You will probably have to live with USB 2.0 speeds. Your Freeagent drive is backward compatible with USB 2.0.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

pjgen (2011-02-02)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Phil,

Click the Orb.
    Type: Computer Management
    Click: Computer Management in the search list.
    Click: Disk Management in the left hand pane.

Does your drive show up here? If so use the sniping tool and post the window here.

Let me also welcome you to the lounge!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

pjgen (2011-02-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the information. I think you are correct when you say that I will probably have to live w/USB 2.

Thanks
    Hi pjgen,

The operative word in the matter is "probably". The biggest difficulty for USB 3.0 is that as far as I know, neither Intel nor AMD, or any other motherboard/chipset manufacturer currently builds in native support for USB 3.0. It is forecast that this will remain true for Intel and possibly AMD through 2011. I may be missing the mark here on this, and others may have some more information I have not yet seen.

Therefore the situation requires third party manufacturers to market adapters for laptops and desktops that have a USB 3.0 compatible controller chip as well as drivers for them so users can enjoy USB 3.0 data transfer rates. This is at times problematic, and some have more success than others in achieving the desired results. Until the big names in the mobo and chipset industry come on board with native support, it is probably going to be a hit and miss proposition.

But there may yet be a solution to your specific situation, and perhaps another Lounger can offer some insight that helped them work through a similar difficulty.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

pjgen (2011-02-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    USB 3.0 seems to be at this point in time only hipe! Save your money. Or buy a 3 Tb USB 2.0 drive for $150.
    Two of the most recognizable brands have the following on the box: "up to 10 x USB2". Rediculously unuseful statement. 2X is "up to".
    The other is more honest: 2x to 3x. Hardly 10x.

Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Windows 7 PROBLEM with USB 3.0

Windows 7 PROBLEM with USB 3.0

Platform: Dell Dimension 4550 3.06 Ghz P4 HT enabled
    Addonics Host Conroller 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI Controller
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0/2.0 external drive
    Transcend JF700 USB 3.0 16GB flashdrive

Operating Systems:

Windows XP SP3 with NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-10170-setup works flawlessly

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21281-setup problematic
    Anything from 1 to 10 re-installations of USB 3.0 driver required for connection to take effect
    Once achieved, connection is solid, can backup etc BUT lost on restart

Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 (Microsoft) This driver is Native to WIN 8, when uninstalled , RE-installed automatically with 'Scan for Hardware Changes' or Restart
    Anything from 0 to 6 re-installations of USB 3.0 driver required for connection to take effect
    Once achieved, connection is solid, can backup etc BUT lost on restart

OBJECT: Demonstrate that problem lies with WIN 7 / WIN 8 - Once connected, that lets your Host Controller and USB 3.0 drivers off the hook

METHOD:

A. Use USB 2.0 - Until the Windows 7 team get their fingers out, time lost trying to make USB 3.0 work better used with that (slower) Backup.

B: For those who want USB 3.0 to work and have the thrill of faster Access/BackUp
    1. TOOLS: (USB 3.0 Host Controller PCI/PCI-e in your machine)
    USB 3.0 Extention Cable (NOT 2.0) for ease of access(!)
    USB 3.0 HDD External Drive AND/OR Flashdrive- USB 3 AND/OR USB 2**
    ** Host Controller and Ext. Cable can also handle USB 2.0, USB 1.1 - Part of WIN 7 weirdness
    is when connected, on occasion, USB 2.0 Flash Drive NOT recognised (although connection sound, LED made) - Problem Not experienced with WIN 8 - Solution: Re-install driver

2.(a) INSTALL USB 3.0 Host Conroller Software/Drivers (see list below) IF WIN 8 - not ness.
    PLUG IN USB 3.0 Extension Cable (Otherwise you'll be on your knees, many,many times - unless it's a Laptop)
    (b) PLUG IN USB 3.0 OR USB 2.0 FlashDrive - LED flashing, staying On, b-boing on speakers? - Good - Autoplay Window up? (might not be enabled) so check - My Computer - Drive shown as 'Removable Drive'? - SUCCESS

3. ROUTINE for Multiple Attempts to coax WIN 7 into USB 3.0 connectivity
    a. Start/Control Panel/Hardware&Sound then OPEN Device Manager (leave open)
    b. Expand - Universal Serial Bus Controllers - (near or bottom)
    Locate - Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller - (Ignore Root Hub)
    Right click - select - Uninstall - Ok (If you tick box for delete driver, you'll need to re-install drivers)
    REMOVE Flash Drive and/or Ext. HDD
    c. Device Manager - Action (pull down menu) - Click on 'Update Driver Software..' / 'Scan for Hardware Changes'
    What you want to see: [installing Device Driver Software] (Not shown WIN8)
    Then: [Your Device is ready to Use]
    Good, but no guarantee of success - failure message? Repeat Step 3.(b)
    PLUG IN Flash Drive and/or External HDD - Connection? then - (see 2.(b))
    IF NOT - REPEAT Step 3. (As many times as you can bear, my limit - 10 times per session) ( 6 times for WIN 8)

USB 3.00 Host Controller Software/Drivers tried on this Platform:
    NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-10170-setup
    RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21190-setup
    RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21281-setup
    USB3.0_allOS_2.1.27.0_PV
    USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.0_PV
    USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.1_PV

OPINION:
    This is a controversial topic, only in the sense that searches reveal many users with this problem and apparent silence from Microsoft (not slagging off, I am a fan)
    For Example: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/S...gquestion=true Microsoft Answers yields zilch for 'USB 3.0' search

The fact that Microsoft are now collaborating with Renesas (was NEC) on WIN 8 Native
    Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 driver means that it should work and
    any solution applied to WIN 7.

This cannot be a priority for Microsoft, only gentle pressure from users might help.

PROBLEM: Some Installations with WIN 7 don't encounter USB 3.0 bug, so:
    BLAME: MOTHERBOARD / BIOS [Old PC after all] OR
    Host Controller Hardware Card / Firmware OR
    Host Controller Software/Drivers OR
    OPERATING SYSTEM (o/s)

MY ARGUMENT and Simple Logic is:

IF USB 3.0 works flawlessly with WINDOWS XP
    THEN Installations of WIN 7 and WIN 8 on the same Platform (Same Hardware),
    which exhibit no other problems and are perfeclly stable, should work.
    Once connection is established, USB 3.0 works flawlessly - no breaks or drops

There are enough clues above, for someone knowledgable to push the envelope along,
    Putting it simply, WIN 7 / 8 are 'weak' in STARTING process even though Device Manager reports 'This device is working properly.'
    It might reside at the Boot/Logon stage

That's all folks and apologies for the length...