4 Star Lounger

Weird Thunderbird Folder Behavior

This is an update to the Change Thunderbird Folders post

I had originally posted this question as not being able to change the default file location (Local Folder) to D:\Thunderbird. Several suggestions were posted and none of them worked. I have done more digging and I now know the problem is more complex than I originally believed.

First, a little background. I have four computers between the office, home, and my netbook. I keep them all synchronized by storing all the data on the D-drive and using a batch file and USB memory stick to copy files that change between computers. That is why I have Thunderbird pointing to D:\Thunderbird. That way, all the computers stay in sync.

I am having trouble on only one computer. I thought it would not point to D:\Thunderbird because I could not see any of the folders there. Since none of the original suggestions worked, I decided to reinstall Thunderbird on the problem computer. That did not work either.

Then, I realized there might be a problem with the folder so I renamed it and restarted Thunderbird. It was, in fact, looking at D:\Thunderbird all along, just ignoring the folders. I tried copying the folders (and associated MSF files) one at a time from the renamed folder. It ignored every folder.

My first thought was that something was corrupted. However, Thunderbird works just fine on the other computers so the structure of D:\Thunderbird must be fine. When I reinstalled it, I deleted the old profile so there is no corruption in the profile either. Plus, it does read the filters from D:\Thunderbird, which was my original clue that put me on this path.

Iím stumped! Any suggestions?

I have a second, and less important to me, question. Any way to force Thunderbird to keep the address book in D:\Thunderbird so I can keep it in sync as well.

Ronny Richardson

New Lounger
    Fairport, NY, USA
    have you ever considered installing dropbox on all four machines and just throwing one of your complete profiles into it, then pointing each TB at that profile?

I haven't but theoretically it should work. you get free 2 gb dropbox. That would keep all your settings consistent across all 4 machines.