Thanks

Has this affected your view?

Given the ease and quickness with which the internet was limited and/or eliminated by the government in Egypt have you had second thoughts about relying solely on network based applications and databases, especially data storage?
    I am.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Given the ease and quickness with which the internet was limited and/or eliminated by the government in Egypt have you had second thoughts about relying solely on network based applications and databases, especially data storage?
    I am.
    RussB
    Hello.... I have never seen the "plus side" of using off site "data storage" ... for me who only uses internal and external storage is quite sufficient. In the case that your home could be destroyed by fire \ flood etc....Ok that would make sense. For me none of my "stuff" is all that important.... If it is.. then grab yourself (and whatever else is near and dear ) extra hard drive and bug out. As far as the "political issue" this is not the forum to discuss this. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Russ & Fred,

I couldn't agree more. I have never used web storage because I just don't trust my personal data to companies who are as prone to attack, bankruptcy, and malicious employees as web storage companies are. Plus it 's bad enough when I have to agree to EULAs to use software but when you look at the EULAs for online companies I just don't need that for, what for me, is a minor inconvenience of carrying an external USB key or drive with the data I need.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Amen!
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    Like gold, I wanna hold it in my hand....

Thanks
    I have to concur with all the learned persons here. I want to control ALL my backups, Images, etc. After reading so many horror stories of online hacking into very secure servers, thanks, but no thanks. Even though I do not have critical data except my financial info, I want to hold it safe in my hands and an Ext HD is just the ticket.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I could understand having an online backup if you want to access info from another site but I certanily wouldn't put anything sensitive in an online backup.

But, you are always at the mercy of the PC you are using at a different location...

Thanks
    We lost our home to a fire in 2003. That was a difficult time. Everything we had except our automobiles went up in smoke. We had three PCs in the house at the time including the one my wife used to store lectures and research used in her teaching career and in pursuit of an advanced nursing degree. She had gigabytes of research and data that was destroyed. However, at that time we utilized off site storage, not online storage. My wife cried when I handed her the copies of all her research that I only had to drive three miles to recover.

That data was like gold to her, and it was very comforting to know I could put my hands on it in just a few minutes. I would still never consider storing her data or mine "in the cloud", for all the reasons that have been stated in this thread. There is nothing like keeping stuff you care about close at hand.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Think about the online world a bit and all the organizations you depend on already. If you have an email address you are at the mercy of your email provider. Your ISP, who is not necessarily your email provider, has important information. If you have a website your web host has important information. Do you do any business online? If so, then every vendor you've ever dealt with has important information. Have you ever posted a photo anywhere online. If it was taken by a camera/phone made in the last couple of years it is highly likely there was geo-tagging metadata automatically generated and stored with it. More & more of our private information is being stored electronically whether you authorize it or not. It is just faster, more convenient, & above all cheaper for all the companies to do away with paper.

I'm not saying you should not be concerned. All of us should be concerned and aware of the security issues and government intervention. I'm just saying that if you think that not using online backups because of security is being pretty short sighted about where your private information already is kept. I will say that right now I do NOT use online backups not because of security concerns but because of the expense involved for the amount of digital data I have. I'm not sure when I'll decide to go with an online backup but when I do I'll do my homework and go with a company who has a history in this area.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Joe,

True enough. However, I have no control over that information if I want to use those services. But I see no reason to give them access to more of my personal information than absolutely necessary.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    I see your point and agree about providing minimal information. If you have ever done any business online you've already provided more than enough personal information to a vendor that a thief would be interested in.

A good backup system will encrypt your data making it extremely difficult for anyone to hack into the backup.

Joe

Thanks
    Well, no matter what I would never use on-line backups...

I mean, I just don't see any sense in it.
    Why pay for something you can do for free, and probably better and more secure too.

A portable drive can be taken with you and plugged in and updated when you get home.

They are breaking into the Pentagon computers, you really think an on line server someplace is more secure?

But, I guess people do what they feel is right for them

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Well, no matter what I would never use on-line backups...

I mean, I just don't see any sense in it.
    Why pay for something you can do for free, and probably better and more secure too.

A portable drive can be taken with you and plugged in and updated when you get home.

They are breaking into the Pentagon computers, you really think an on line server someplace is more secure?

But, I guess people do what they feel is right for them
    I don't know that I'd completely abandon local backups. Remember that even local, on-site backups are not free. You still have to pay for the media at a minimum. Many people end up paying for the software too.

There are many more personal computers hacked than Pentagon computers hacked. I'm not arguing about a remote server being more secure than a local PC (or network). I don't know anyone's setup and online behavior other than my own. Even that is not necessarily good enough if there is more than one person in the household who gets online. Not performing online backups because you don't think that any firm in the online backup business is secure enough is ignoring the facts if you've done business online, emailed, registered at one or more sites, etc. If you have done any of those things then some of your most basic information is already beyond your control. As you said, it is individual choice. I'm just trying to get people to think about the whole situation.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Belt and Braces

I am not at all happy at the thought of keeping my backups in the cloud. I run across way too many cock-ups and carelessness on an everyday basis to trust to unknowns.

I chose to use Windows Home Server to keep all our computers continuously backed up and duplicated off site and for reasons I can't really explain, take a data snapshot weekly with a different system to a different place.

I don't have that much stuff, but what I have committed to disk is almost irreplaceable and I did have a total loss crash once years ago which I never got over.

Thinking about that, after Hotmail 'accidentally' erased my mailbox I have maintained my own domain and mail server ever since to keep control of my own stuff.

When things go wrong, I can only blame myself; or maybe I'm a control freak...