Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 - printing sections

All our documents are made up of different sections and it is frequently necessary to print a particular section after we have made some edits. Whilst in Word, I know you can set the status bar to show the page number and section number, but once you press print preview and print, only Page nn of nn appears at the bottom the document, so we have to remember which page/section number before we go to print. Is there any way of showing the page number and section number in the print preview?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately you may be out of luck. While you could see the page number/section number in Print Preview in Word 2007 (as well as in earlier versions), as you say, this info is missing in the 'improved' Print Preview in Word 2010 - don't see any way to add that info to this view.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, if the issue is remembering page and section numbers, one possible kludge would be to select the page(s) or section(s). Then do a Ctrl + P and specify 'print selection'. Thus the particular numbering would no longer be required.

Of course, if the pages/sections are very long, a multiple selection of text itself can become onerous.

Hans-Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to print a whole section, all you have to remember, really, is the section number (at least in older versions -- I am in 2007).

To print section 4, for instance, it is only necessary to type s4 in the page range box, and all of section 4 will print.

Judy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Point taken, but some of our sections are hundreds of pages long (we have recently done a document which was over 2000 pages). I have also noticed that I can have the cursor on, say, page 20 of a document which is 245 pages long (in this case it IS only one section), but when I press print, the print preview shows a completely different page number and the pagination is totally different. In this instance, the page says page 23 of 353 pages. SO frustrating.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would be very inconvenienced if this feature was dropped in Word 2010. Luckily, it has just been hidden a bit.

Right-click on the status bar. In the pop-up, you can turn on display of the section number. You can also display the "Formatted page number" which, in a multi-section document, is often different to the "Page: X of Y" notification. (In a book for example, the frontispiece pages may be un-numbered, and then using i, ii, iii..., then switching to 1, 2, 3...).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What you're describing only works when you're in the regular document window, and in Print Layout, Outline or Draft view. If you go to File > Print, you'll see that the status bar information is missing from that view -with no apparent way to add information to that view.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another variation on HansPeter's suggestion: Rather than using Print Preview (via File > print), just stay in the regular document view, and use Ctrl+P to bring up the Print dialog - that way you can see the page and section information in the status bar, while you are working in the Print dialog.

Gary

Thanks
    For those who like to print by selecting, I wonder whether this old macro will work in Word 2010? See: Macro to print the pages in the selection - across sections

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou for your suggestions. Unfortunately Ctrl+P just brings up the same Print Preview. We used to be able to edit in Print Preview, which was invaluable in our long documents. Is there a way of doing this now? Can't seem to find it....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can add the 'Print Preview Edit Mode' command to the QAT.

I don't see any way around the 'section' problem other than having to remember it. I'll see that the developers get to know about the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Guess I should have tried Ctrl+P in 2010 before making that suggestion!
    There is a workaround to make the old Print dialog available from the document window, and that would be to put code like this:

Code:
    Sub LegacyPrint()
       Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Display
    End Sub
    - in your Normal.dotm or any global template. This could then be assigned a button in the QAT and would then permit you to go right from your usual document view, to the Print dialog.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this - just managed to do this and it brings up the old print menu beautifully (thankyou) but it doesn't actually print. Do I need to do something else?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm stuck for suggestions at the moment for an odd reason: I'm working with 2010 on a new laptop that up until today, didn't have a printer installed (so I had confirmed that the LegacyPrint macro displays the old Print dialog, but hadn't actually printed). So I've just installed a printer today, but at present am finding that I cannot print - anything! (in any application). The printer is showing as Ready in the Print dialog, but when I print nothing happens - and checking the print queue says the printer is offline. So until I fix that, can't test further specifically for Word 2010. Will report back once I've got that sorted...

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was under the impression that .Display showed the dialog but didn't execute the commands chosen. Try the following instead...

Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2013-04-17)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast