4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Name in To box doesn't resolve to GAL

I had a problem with a distribution group when I tried to update it from non-universal to universal and adding an account to manage it. It was originally created many years ago on Exchange 2003 and was moved to Exchange 2010. It was the only one I had a problem doing that with so I deleted it and then created it new with the same name.

The distribution group's name is *Reception (asterisk intended so it shows at the top of the GAL). Now when someone types "reception" or "*reception" in the To box it doesn't resolve to the new *Reception on the GAL. The new one is on the GAL. If they click on the To box and pick it on the GAL it does send okay. If they don't and just type "reception" or "*reception" they get an error back saying it doesn't exist. Before I screwed it up, you could type the name reception or even part of the name like recep and it would resolve. It still does work fine for all the other lists.

I also tried creating a new group named *Receptionist but it still didn't resolve. I also tried removing the asterisk but that failed.

What can I do?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Perhaps you need to go through the cycle of delete the group, let the GAL regenerate, and re-distribute and then re-create the group. I've had some strange things happen with the GAL and it seems as though there are timing issues involved.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I waited almost a week after I deleted it. Our GAL isn't that large and we're a single domain. I create a new group with a completely new name so we can get emails to the front desk. But it sure would be nice to bring back the old Reception list and know why I can't get it to work.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is there still an entry in AD that could be confusing anything?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To refresh:

Back in late January I posted a problem where a user was restricted and couldn't send email to some of our distribution lists.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...st-%28OLK07%29

I decided the problem was caused by the distribution groups originating on an Exchange 2003 server and replicating over to an Exchange 2010 server which had new rules. On new mail server I needed to change them from non-universal to universal and add a manager where there was none. But it wasn't allowing me to add a manager so I pondered killing the groups and recreating them.

I subsequently deleted one of those old groups and tried to create a new one with the same name on the new mail server - reception@___

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...resolve-to-GAL

When I did that the name "reception in the To line would no longer resolve to the GAL. If "reception" is selected from the GAL directly it works but if the user type just "reception" in the To line it doesn't resolve.

The advice was to let the mail servers go through their motions and regenerate. I waited a week but no change. There were no "reception" entries in the AD.

It's been two months. Waiting hasn't helped.

Back in February as a workaround I created a new group named "switchboard". I also added reception@___ as a secondary email address to a user on the switchboard distribution list. Maybe having that "reception" email address still around is keeping this from clearing up? Since February we have reboot both mails servers.

The old Exchange 2003 server which is also a domain server is still up and on the network, just no mailboxes. The new Exchange 2010 server is not a domain server. Both of my domain servers operate Windows 2003. My new Exchange 2010 server operated with Windows 2008 R2. If that makes any difference.

The firm hates "switchboards" and is pushing to get "reception" back.

Today I removed the secondary reception@___ email address from the user. Then I creating a new group on the new Exchange 2010 server named "reception". All the same settings as other, functioning groups. Same thing happens. "Reception" in the To line doesn't resolve to the GAL, but selecting "reception" from the GAL directly does work.

More advice?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    How often do you have Exchange configured to regen the GAL?

Have you forced Outlook to download the new GAL? Are you getting any synch errors?

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    How often do you have Exchange configured to regen the GAL?

Have you forced Outlook to download the new GAL? Are you getting any synch errors?
    We don't use cache mode anymore. Since posting back in January/February, I've upgraded nearly everyone to Outlook 2007 without cache mode turned on.

From an open message if you click on To... to see the GAL, the reception distribution list is on it. When you select it off that list it will send okay. But, if you don't go to the GAL list and just type "reception" into the To... box (like below), it won't send.

reception-1.JPG

Instead you get this error (replaced some parts with X's):

Code:
    Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

'*Reception' <mailto:IMCEAEX-_O%3DXXXXXX%2B20XXXXXXX_OU%3DFirst%2B20Administrative%2B20Group_cn%3DRecipients_cn%3DReception@XXX.com> 
    The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: MAILSRVR.XXX.com

IMCEAEX-_O=XXXXXX+20XXXXXXX_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_cn=Recipients_cn=Reception@XXX.com
    #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##
    No errors in Outlook's Synch folders.

I just regenerated the offline address books with this:

Code:
    get-offlineaddressbook | update-offlineaddressbook
    Still same problem.
    Daisy

Thanks
    Is it possible that the nickname (name resolution autosuggestion) file is pointing reception to an old object?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Is it possible that the nickname (name resolution autosuggestion) file is pointing reception to an old object?
    It crossed my mind. Some users have it but I never use the autosuggestion feature so it shouldn't have an effect on my machine.
    Daisy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ailios View Post
    I never use the autosuggestion feature so it shouldn't have an effect on my machine.
    Your screen shot has a dashed underline under the name, which implies that it has used a stored resolution (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296407). Why not temporarily rename your .nk2 file and see whether that helps?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I'll be dipped. Renaming the NK2 file worked. Didn't realize that file still accumulated data even though I had autosuggestion turned off. Or maybe it was on way back in time just long enough before I disabled it to create a list that included "reception". Still going to be a problem on the network because I'd have to rename everyone's NK2 file and they will lose their autosuggest list. Most won't be too happy about that. Only other option would be to go to each workstation one at a time and edit the NK2 to remove the entry. Ugh.

Thank you for your patience in helping me work this out. It's a lesson I won't soon forget.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    You ought to check out NK2Edit. Not sure if you can edit a file on another PC but worth checking. NOTE: free for home or non-porift use. 14 day trial for commercial use.

Joe