3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting password from user

Hi

(Win XP SP-3, O2003 UK)

In Excel, I'm asking a user for password through an inputbox. As he types it reveals the password - not nice . Are there a way to substitute or mask the input as asterikses??

Alternatively does Windows have a built-in form for password inputs?

TIA
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can create a UserForm which can be done in the VB Editor in Excel. Then create a TextBox control on that form and on its Properties set the PasswordChar property to whatever character you want it to display eg "*"

More information on creating a UserForm and example can be found here: http://www.exceltip.com/st/Create_Us...Excel/629.html

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by njl100 View Post
    You can create a UserForm which can be done in the VB Editor in Excel.
    Thanks for the answer - appreciate it, but I'm already aware of that option. I was just hoping to achieve more or less the same with the "input box" directly, so that I don't have to go through the tedious "VB-forms" way.
    Last edited by Henrik Ryberg; 2011-02-03 at 08:19.
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work