New Lounger
    Thanks

Annoying keyboard entry lag in every application

Hi, wondering if any of you have witnessed this sort of issue.

I'm running XP SP3 on an older (pre-dual core AMD Athlon) machine. It's a workhorse machine with plenty of RAM (4 gigs) that has never caused problems or been overtly infected with malware, etc. (latest version of MSE always running, and I do periodic scans with AdAware, AVG, etc). For quite a long time, I've lived with a really annoying lag when I'm typing anything into any application. The first word or two appears as I type, then the cursor freezes (even though I am still typing), then 3-5 seconds later, the keyboard buffer dumps the rest of what I typed onto the line and typing proceeds normally. Then the lag reappears a few seconds later. Lather/rinse/repeat. This is a constant, everyday issue with this machine, and it doesn't seem to matter which application I am using.

My suspicion all along has been that some intermittant background process is sucking up CPU cycles (disk indexing? Network process of some kind?), but I have watched Task Manager's processes list while working and not really seen an obvious culprit there. Any ideas?

Must admit that I've not yet run the machine in Safe Mode to see if this occurs there as well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Wired or wireless keyboard?

Are the keyboard drivers up-to-date?

Joe

Thanks
    Run a thorough checkdisk with the "r" switch enabled upon next boot.
    Clean computer CPU and MB area with a can of compressed air.
    Check your chipset drivers & GPU for a possible update.
    Try running in safemode as well, if it does not occur it could most likely be software related.

TOOLS: Sysinternals utilities; Process Explorer, Debug View, & Autoruns.

Go through your installed programs, one of them may be the culprit.
    You might also go through your computers start up list and see what is there that can be removed.

The above link is an example of one method of troublshooting a similar issue.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Wired or wireless keyboard?

Are the keyboard drivers up-to-date?

Joe
    It's a wired Saitek Eclipse keyboard. I don't remember installing special drivers for it, just did plug-and-play as I recall. Will look online and see if Saitek has drivers. Will also try safe mode when I get home tonight and see what difference that makes.

Thanks for everyone's input.