New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Exchange Account?????

Good morning All,

I have a question on a Microsoft Exchange Account. What is it? I have had my PST file located on my computer since the beginning of time and I see postings talking about a Microsoft Exchange Account. I believe it is a location that will host your PST file for access from another location?????

Is it best to have the file hosted? How do you go about finding someone to host and fees.

Thank you in advance,

Charlie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Microsoft Exchange is an email server product. It can be on-premise (i.e. companies install it on their own servers) or hosted on Microsoft or third-party servers. With Exchange a user does not have a PST file for storing email on the PC. Email is kept on the Exchange server. A user may optionally keep a cached copy of email on a PC for access when the Exchange server is not available. Also, you can use the Outlook Web Application to access an Exchange email account on any PC with internet access without having to worry about the Outlook desktop application. If you are not using Outlook in a corporate environment you most likely do not need Exchange.

If you are really interested in finding a hosted version of Exchange see some of the links at exchange hosting service - Bing.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DunnDeal View Post
    I have had my PST file located on my computer since the beginning of time and I see postings talking about a Microsoft Exchange Account. I believe it is a location that will host your PST file for access from another location?????

Is it best to have the file hosted?
    PST files should not be hosted. In fact, Microsoft does not even like you to connect to them on a different computer on your own network. Apparently it leads more often to file corruption. Best to keep PST files as a local copy of your mail for IMAP and POP servers.

Exchange Server is popular with businesses because it eases shared calendaring and other workgroup collaboration tasks. But for individuals, the extra cost of an Exchange account probably isn't worth it.

Edit: If you want a hosted mail account you can access from anywhere, and want to pay as little as possible, GMail (using IMAP) and Windows Live Mail/Hotmail (using Exchange ActiveSync) are popular options.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-02-03 at 16:21.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe and jscher for the information.

I just love this site and hope to contribute in the future.

Enjoy your day,

Charlie