Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with autologon in Windows 7-64 bit

When I installed Window 7 64bit on a new self built computer, I was able to log on automatically. I am the only user of the compute and didn't set a password. About a week ago, I could no longer do an unattended restart--the administrator logo would come up and I would have to click on it to permit Windows 7 to start. I did a Google search and came across an article about how to enact auto logon. I followed the instructions and now get a screen saying the username and password are incorrect. It is an icon with an X in it. I click on it, and get the administrator icon, and also a guest icon---I have never set up a guest user, and when I go to user accounts, only the administrator icon is there. I went crazy trying to put in a password under the administrator account, thinking of every password I had ever used, and none worked. I then left the password blank and clicked on the arrow, and windows started up.

I obviously have gone from bad to worse. Can anyone help me get back to an unimpeded auto logon, or at least back to the administrator's icon which I only had to click on? I tried to do a system restore, even disabling antivirus software and going to safe with networking startup, but couldn't do a system restore. I have never been able to do a system restore on Windows 7, but that's another story! I ran antivirus and antimalware scans and they were negative. Thanks

Thanks
    See if these instructions from Microsoft will help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I am eventually able to get onto Windows because I didn't use a password when setting up Windows 7--I am the only user. My problem is that originally, when booting up, the computer went directly to the Windows 7 desktop. A week ago, it went to an administrator icon which I had to click. In trying to bypass that step, I ended up with what I described above--several additional steps. I was aware of the article you referred me to, but that isn't exactly what my problem is (I don't think so, anyway). Thanks again

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that Logonexpert tool could help to solve your autologon issue

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much! Will explore this option!

Thanks
    Hi morrisonb, when you open the user accounts page, does it show as P/W protected ?

Attachment 27383
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi morrisonb, when you open the user accounts page, does it show as P/W protected ?

Attachment 27383
    When I go to user acct, there is an option to create a password, so I assume, (and believe) that there is no password. Since I am the only user, of a desktop at home, I never created one! Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Go to user accounts and click manage another account. It should only show yours and the guest account which should be off. Administrator account is disabled by default in W7

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It shows me as the administrator and the guest account which it says is disabled! There is no password for the admin. acct as there is a choice of setting up a password. When I reboot, after Windows Starting, it goes to a blue-green screen, with a red circle with an X in it, saying that either the username or password is incorrect. If I click on OK, the admin icon with my name, and the guest icon both appear. If I click on the Admin icon with my name, a box requesting a password appears. As mentioned above, I tried all of the passwords I would normally have used, and I would get an error saying incorrect password. If instead of putting in a password, I discovered that I could simply hit the arrow next to the password box (which I had left empty) and that would finally bring me to the Windows 7 desktop---but unfortunately after having to go through these several steps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonb View Post
    When I installed Window 7 64bit on a .... About a week ago, I could no longer do an unattended restart
    I have a similar system, and I had a similar problem a week or two after I got it running.

My problem happened on cold starts (i.e. after a Shut Down) & restarts (I don't use Sleep or Lock). This is what I recall doing to overcome the problem :-

1. Started Windows in Safe Mode. Somehow I got into Windows, I think I clicked that OK button
    2. Went to to Control Panel/User Accounts.
    3. Found that I had (have) two user accounts, MyAccount which was/is an Administrator and a Guest account that was/is turned off.
    4. "It" reckoned MyAccount had no password
    5. So I set the password for MyAccount to "password"
    6. Restarted normal Windows.
    7. At the logon screen I entered "MyAccount" and "password".
    8. Went into Control Panel/User Accounts and removed the password on MyAccount

That was about 3 months ago, its been OK since - i.e. windows starts up unattended.

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much! Tried it. With the password enabled, I restarted the computer and got only the Administrator icon, and a box for the password, which I filled in, and immediately Windows opened to the desktop. I then removed the password, and restarted the computer again, but then I got the warning--password or user name incorrect, etc. just as above!

Thanks
    To autologon:
    1. Click the Start Orb and run, type "control userpasswords2" and press Enter.
    2. Highlight the UserID you want to autologon with.
    3. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password......
    4. Click OK .
    5. Supply the assigned user password in the window that pops up.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    To autologon:
    1. Click the Start Orb and run, type "control userpasswords2" and press Enter.
    2. Highlight the UserID you want to autologon with.
    3. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password......
    4. Click OK .
    5. Supply the assigned user password in the window that pops up.
    Jerry
    Jerry, your wrong, its netplwiz for Win7

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply to my question, but what is netplwiz, and how does that alter what Jerry recommends?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonb View Post
    Thanks for the reply to my question, but what is netplwiz, and how does that alter what Jerry recommends?
    Hi morrisonb, in W7 control userpasswords2 does not work, netplwiz does. Now you can follow what Jerry said providing you have a password. My OS is W7 Home Prem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast