New Lounger
    Thanks

Flash Player will not work in user accounts

I have two HP laptops with Vista Premium Home Edition and one desktop running XP Pro. All have the latest patches, updates, etc. On some sites, Flash Player (FP) only works with admin privileges. On all three computers, if I am in the admin account, FP works fine. If in user accounts, FP works on some sites and not others. On all three computers, if I start IE8 in any user account by right-clicking and running in admin mode, all three work.

I have used the ADOBE uninstaller to uninstall and then used the latest version of FP to re-install FP in user mode; in admin mode; booted into Safe mode in admin, uninstalled FP, rebooted, uninstalled FP again?, ran Ccleaner twice, rebooted, installed FP again; and still have the same problem.

The particular sites I am working with are

http://windowssecrets.com/2011/02/03..._campaign=2578 but it does the same thing on http://www.theospark.net/2010/10/vid...ian-jokes.html

I have gone to the Adobe site at

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager03.html

and set it to allow third-party flash content to be stored on my computer and store common flash components to reduce download times.I have searched the internet for days and can't find a solution. I'm sure someone out there has a remedy. Help!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You do not say if these are 32 Bit PC's or 64 Bit PC's. I would suspect the desktop is 32 Bit, but the laptops could be either.

Adobe does have a beta 64 Bit Flash Player.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. All three are 32bit.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have write access to the Flash cache when not an admin?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Do you have write access to the Flash cache when not an admin?

cheers, Paul
    I don't know how to enable "write Access" in Flash. I do have it set so data can be stored on my computer. I can't find anything in the Adobe Global Settings control panel to address the issue.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it's not a Flash issue, it's a Windows permission.
    Download and run Process Monitor and fire up a web site as a normal user. Attempt to run Flash content, then stop PM and wander through the listing of Flash access and see what's blocked - this is not a trivial task and will take a while to work through.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I think it's not a Flash issue, it's a Windows permission.
    Download and run Process Monitor and fire up a web site as a normal user. Attempt to run Flash content, then stop PM and wander through the listing of Flash access and see what's blocked - this is not a trivial task and will take a while to work through.

cheers, Paul
    I am still plowing through Process Monitor, which seems to be endless.. Just as an aside, today's Windows Secrets link to "
    "Bored pilots play tricks on passengers"

won't work either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran into this problem last year. It only affects IE, so you can use another browser in a pinch.
    This link: http://davidcmoisan.wordpress.com/20...limited-users/ nicely summarizes the fix that worked for me.

Clark.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this problem with the version of Flash that came out in November. I finally found a solution, which was to make sure that when installing the new version all accounts were logged out, except the administrator account: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/777707