New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy "Print Drectory" nightmare

Using XP Pro, SP3, all updated. Tried to create "Print Directory" feature using KB 321379.

Backed up registry with a restore point. Followed the instructions. Something went awry and it did not work. Impatience, so I just restored the registry.

Now I have a modified right-click menu and default double-click action on all folders to start a search. If I right click and go down the list to "Open", I can open folders.

I want to remove "Search" and "Print Directory" Listings from the top of my right-click menu on my folders so the default again becomes "Open"..

Added info: When I retrace the steps to add the "Print Directory" to remove them, the step in Control Panel/Folder Options said to select "File folder", "Advanced" and "Add" then put in printdir.bat. Now it will not let me remove printdir.bat or delete the whole "File folder" entry. I am stuck with it. I deleted the printdir.bat file itself but the option still appears. Probably have to edit the registry to get rid of it.
    Last edited by catmanbob; 2011-02-03 at 16:51. Reason: Added information
    Regards,
    Catmanbob

Thanks
    Ya, that's an infamous (and longstanding) Windows bug that will (sometimes) change the default action when you double-click a folder to something other than Open (e.g., Search) after you change File Types settings.

Here's the Registry fix: Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell and change the (Default) value to "none".

NOTE: This is the word "none" (without the quotation marks), rather than a blank value.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I made the change. Right click menu shows "none" at the top. In some cases, it still open the "Search" screen. I suspect I also need to reboot for it to fully take effect in all instances. Thanks again. BTW, I see yr in SOCAL. Two feet of snow drifting to six feet here with a wind chill this a.m. of minus 8.
    Regards,
    Catmanbob

Thanks
    The right-click menu shouldn't show "none" at the top. Are you sure you didn't use quotation marks in the Registry? The Registry value I described should just be the word none -- without quotation marks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by st3333ve View Post
    The right-click menu shouldn't show "none" at the top. Are you sure you didn't use quotation marks in the Registry? The Registry value I described should just be the word none -- without quotation marks.
    --Tried regedit again, without quotes. It is working fine now. Thank you again.
    Catmanbob
    Regards,
    Catmanbob