2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add-ins tab in Word 2010?

Hi folks,

An external contractor whom I support is using Word 2010. The custom toolbar we use to produce our documents isn't showing up in Word 2010.

In Word 2007 there was an Add-ins tab which displayed this custom toolbar, and I could add a button to the QAT. Does Word 2010 have something like this? My Google searches seem to indicate that I have to create a custom tab and add these commands manually. Seriously? When I already have the toolbar?

Just when I thought the ribbon couldn't get worse...

Thanks,

Beej

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Beej,

The Add-Ins tab is still there in Word 2010, same as in Word 2007 - so there must be something else going on. Is the toolbar generated programmatically? Does the contractor have macros enabled? (this would only matter if the toolbar is created via code)

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not generated programmatically, no. It's part of the Attached template for the document she's working on. In 2010 does she still have to enable the "Developer" tab like she did in 2007? (As an aside...I've never been certain whether enabling the Developer tab really *was* necessary to see the Add-ins tab in 2007. Was it?)

Thanks again

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Click somewhere on the ribbon or the Quick Access Toolbar and choose Customize Ribbon. In the right-hand list in the Customize dialog, you should see the Add-Ins tab listed. If it's there but unchecked, check it. If you want the Developer tab to appear, check that one too -- it's unchecked by default.

And no, it was never necessary to display the Developer tab in order to see the Add-Ins tab.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary,

Is it possible to add a toolbar (generated by VBA programmatically) to home tab of the Word 2010 ribbon? Actually the toolbar is shown in Add-Ins by-default but I want to add it in home tab instead. Any ideas how to do that? Thanks.

Ali

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can dynamically build a ribbon. The basic process is to create a dynamic placeholder in your static ribbon xml code and then use VBA to create more xml code that populates the dynamic placeholder.

Have a look at these links for some clues:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.12).aspx
    http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2007/01...nu-an-example/
    http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Dynamic_Ri...nu_Control.htm
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Not as satisfying but quicker, when the Add-Ins tab is displayed, right click by your menu and add it to the QAT. You can save this modification to your template so that it only shows up when the template is attached or loaded.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Actually we had old toolbar/menu created via CommandBar and CommandBarConrtols. We would like to convert CommandBar items to Ribbon buttons. Is it possible to add CommandBar (or items) to ribbon group (in Home tab)? Any ideas if it do able or?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali007 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Actually we had old toolbar/menu created via CommandBar and CommandBarConrtols. We would like to convert CommandBar items to Ribbon buttons. Is it possible to add CommandBar (or items) to ribbon group (in Home tab)? Any ideas if it do able or?
    If the items you want to add to the ribbon are macros, you can do that fairly easily by following the guidance here: http://office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=968.

I read this quite a while ago but had forgotten about it until I saw it again today. My testing then and now was only to see if I could make the changes they described with my own macros.

Good luck,
    Pam