Lounger
    Thanks

Question System Reserve picked up a drive letter

I ran into a weird issue I've never seen before when I used Acronis True Image to copy my C drive to a new SSD. Everything went as planned except for one thing. I had to unplug H drive to make room for the SSD. When all was done, the System Reserve on C drive had picked up the drive letter H. Windows is constantly reminding me that my H drive is running low in space which is annoying. But my question is, can I drop the drive letter on the system reserve without affecting C drive, booting, etc? I've never seen a drive letter on system reserve before, so my guess would be that's it's ok. Am I right?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    gwills,
    Hello... What is "System Reserve"? If you talking about a "Recovery Partition " on your C: drive you can just use "Computer Management> Disk management " to change the Drive Letter.Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-02-03 at 19:43.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I don't know if it is called a recovery partition but it is labelled System Reserved and is about 170Mb, is a separate partition, and located right in front of C drive on drive0. Is this what Windows uses for recovery? I know how to handle the drive letters. I just want to be sure I'm not screwing everything up by deleting the letter on this partition. I really don't know how it got there. I've copied C drive paritions before and never had this happen.
    Gary

Thanks
    It looks to me like the 170 MB partition was originally created by a Vista or W7 installation and subsequently transfered over during the copy process, albeit not hidden anymore.
    This is not a recovery area per say, it is part of Microsoft's Windows 7 Ultimate BitLocker drive encryption reserve partition.
    It gets created by default under any version of W7, not just W7 Ultimate.

I would advise looking through it closely to ensure that 1, it is empty and 2, you do not use BitLocker before deleting it. Rename your drive letters as Fred has suggested prior to deleting.

The above applies to non OEM installations.
    For OEM installations refer to your computer's documentation.