New Lounger
    Thanks

Programs won't open for 18 minutes after start-up

After I start my computer some programs won't open until 18 minutes have passed. Then all the programs that I clicked on open up and everything then works fine and I can access anything on my computer. After I boot up I can get on the internet even though I cannot access other software programs. I am running windows 7 64 bit system. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorSOG View Post
    After I start my computer some programs won't open until 18 minutes have passed.
    SeniorSOG,

Hello... Your question generates a "zillion" more questions... How about a few more details...
    1. What kind of "security" are you running?
    2. What kind of programs "won't open"?
    3. Have you checked "task manager" to see whats running after you "boot up"?
    4. Did this just start happening ...Or after loading some new software?
    5. Just getting started Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Security: windows firewall. windows security essentials, avast anti-virus.
    Some programs that won't open: All control panel programs, ventrillo, Bible software, windows update, Network and Sharing Center, ect.
    Task manager does work.
    It started 2 - 3 months ago. It may have started after a windows update, but I am not sure. System restore is useless.
    Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought,you are running msn essentials AND avast-i did also once and found them to conflict-try removing one and reboot and see if same problem still exists.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Use one of the following programs to check what is starting when you boot the PC. Either Autoruns for Windows or WhatInStartup - Disable/delete programs at Windows startup. If you see some program you don't recognize post a screenshot and someone here will assist.

Note: Autoruns produces an enormous amount of information. You are interested primarily in the Logon tab.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I did uninstall Avast and rebooted but it did not fix the problem. Again, thanks for the suggestion!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is what is in "AutoRuns":
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\Wds\rdpwd\StartupPrograms
    rdpclip File not found: rdpclip

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    lxdwamon c:\program files (x86)\lexmark 7600 series\lxdwamon.exe
    lxdwmon.exe Printer Device Monitor c:\program files (x86)\lexmark 7600 series\lxdwmon.exe
    MSC Microsoft Security Client User Interface Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft security client\msseces.exe

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Run
    ATICustomerCare ATI Customer Care Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. c:\program files (x86)\ati\aticustomercare\aticustomercare.exe
    AVG9_TRAY AVG Tray Monitor AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. c:\program files (x86)\avg\avgls9\avgtray.exe
    Google Desktop Search Google Desktop Google c:\program files (x86)\google\google desktop search\googledesktop.exe
    IndexSearch PaperPort IndexSearch ScanSoft, Inc. c:\program files (x86)\scansoft\paperport\indexsearch.exe
    Lexmark 7600 Series Fax Man Server c:\program files (x86)\lexmark 7600 series\fm3032.exe
    LWS Logitech Webcam Software Logitech Inc. c:\program files (x86)\logitech\lws\webcam software\lws.exe
    PaperPort PTD PaperPort Print to Desktop for NT ScanSoft, Inc. c:\program files (x86)\scansoft\paperport\pptd40nt.exe
    SSBkgdUpdate SSBkgdUpdate Scansoft, Inc. c:\program files (x86)\common files\scansoft shared\ssbkgdupdate\ssbkgdupdate.exe
    StartCCC Catalyst® Control Center Launcher Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. c:\program files (x86)\ati technologies\ati.ace\core-static\clistart.exe
    VEngine Verification Engine Comodo CA Ltd. c:\program files (x86)\comodo\vengine\vengine.exe

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Secunia PSI Tray.lnk Secunia PSI Tray Secunia c:\program files (x86)\secunia\psi\psi_tray.exe

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RoboForm RoboForm TaskBar Icon Siber Systems c:\program files (x86)\siber systems\ai roboform\robotaskbaricon.exe

Thanks
    I can see many items in the above "AutoRuns" that do not need to be started at logon.
    You will need to decide which to keep and what to dump.

The process for AVG needed to be stopped prior to it's uninstallation, It looks like you continue to have leftovers from the installation.