Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Occasionally Won't Start

I hope someone can help with this nagging problem: about once a week or so, Win 7 seems to hang on the opening screen ("Starting Windows").

We've discovered the easiest fix is to turn off the electrical power and then turn it back on. W7 then starts right up. (We do this because the PC power switch won't shut off when this happens.)

There's no pattern - no recent WinUpdates, or any other updates for that matter. We haven't added any new apps in months.

I tried the W7 Repair, and it listed no problems whatsoever.

We can certainly live with this, but I thought I'd ask the folks here if they'd ever encountered anything like this, and if they had any fixes.

Thanks much for any help,

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Often when Windows hangs at that point it is trying to enumerate devices. Do you have any external drives attached? Have you added any hardware recently?

Joe

Thanks
    Check the event log for any suspicious entries. Also, after shutting down by cutting power (you can also do this by holding the power button for 5 seconds or so), you should run chkdsk with the /f switch. It also wouldn't hurt to run the memory diagnostic.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe.

No, no external drives or recentl h/w changes.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Often when Windows hangs at that point it is trying to enumerate devices. Do you have any external drives attached? Have you added any hardware recently?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Check the event log for any suspicious entries. Also, after shutting down by cutting power (you can also do this by holding the power button for 5 seconds or so), you should run chkdsk with the /f switch. It also wouldn't hurt to run the memory diagnostic.

Jerry
    I second that

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry (and Clint).

Please excuse this, but I'm not sure how to view the Event Log.

I found "Event Viewer" but I'm not sure how to proceed from there...

Thanks again,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry

Thanks
    In the Event Viewer you could start in the Administrative Events section. Your looking for a corresponding date/time index for the specific occurrence you've had. There are also many other sections as well, like Hardware, located under "Applications and Services Logs".

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Clint.

There seems to be 2 common Admin Log error messages that appear lots of times, including on days for which no problem was visible:

1. Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

2. Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

I have no idea what these mean, but despite them the PC is fine 100% of the time, after W7 starts. The startup problem has not occurred now in about 6 days.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. -- The Hardware Log showed no errors at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    In the Event Viewer you could start in the Administrative Events section. Your looking for a corresponding date/time index for the specific occurrence you've had. There are also many other sections as well, like Hardware, located under "Applications and Services Logs".