New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Backup and Restore missing?

I have Win 7 Home Premium, and I haven't had it very long, but I know that I am better off with 7 than with Vista. I have been using a PC for quit some time now, and I have run into alot of problems, and I have always been able to work them out sooner or later. But now I have this problem with my backup and restore area on my PC, that I have called MS about and HP about, and the only advice I can get from them is to take my PC back to factory condition. I have logged on with them and allowed them to take control of my PC and try and figure out the problem, but to date no one can tell me what happened to cause my PC to be missing this information all of a sudden. I came across this problem a couple of months ago when I wanted to make a new system image backup of my PC. So as I did the first time I did this, I clicked on Control Panel and then clicked on Backup and Restore and my PC goe's there, but when It brings up the Box or area that says "Backup and Restore".....That's all that is in that box or area now....Just the words of Backup and Restore are at the top.......no info inside of it at all.....On the left side of the box it reads,,,Control Panel and on the right side it proclaims in bold letter's that I am in the area of Backup and Restore.....but nothing else is in there? I don't mind taking my PC back to factory conditiions; but I would like to know how or what I did, to cause my PC to be missing the information that is normally in this area....so I can perform a System Image Backup once again? Plus, I really don't know as of yet if my PC will even let me take it back to factory settings? It's working fine, or seems to be......I am just missing this information to do any type of backup.....I have tried to do a system restore.......but it fails at each attempt at doing this too? So if someone could help me with this, or tell, me what I have done to cause this, I would be forever grateful. I would like to know so I can avoid this mistake in the future. Thanks for your help.....Eddie Nelson
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-02-04 at 16:26.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmmm, maybe AOL did it for you. They've been known to do all sorts of "constructive" things to PCs. ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you ever successfully do a backup on this PC?

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam4uJesus View Post
    I would like to know so I can avoid this mistake in the future. Thanks for your help.....Eddie Nelson
    Eddie,
    Hello.... There are probably a "zillion" reasons that your "Backup and Restore" has failed ... The easier way is to forget "Windows" ( doesn't work all that well to begin with) and get this free "backup and restore" (Imaging) program from Macrium http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp It "beats the pants off " "Windows backup and restore " in too many areas to mention . Just check out some of the posts in the "Security & Backups" section of the lounge ...Just type in Macrium to the search box.Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    What kind of tweaking programs do you have installed?
    What sort of manipulations to the operating system and or registry have you done.
    Are you even operating as an administrator from an administrator account?

The default Windows Backup and Restore works just fine Fred, there are other [[user related]] issues at play here.
    The OP needs to provide a whole lot more information.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post

The default Windows Backup and Restore works just fine Fred, there are other [[user related]] issues at play here.
    The OP needs to provide a whole lot more information.
    CLiNT,
    Hello.. Yes you are correct ..."works just fine". My question is ... Why bother with an anemic program to begin with (when compared to the FREE version of Macrium reflect) that does.... "Kick the pants off", of the "Windows offering" Right from the "Geko" Just thought that i would offer an alternative. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am so grateful to everyone who has tried to help me with this problem. First of all, I would like to say, that I have never really sought help in this kind of way before, so I hope you all will excuse my inexperience at replying to this thread. So; First of all, I don't think it was AOL? But then again, I don't know. I have never had a problem with them before. And one would think that if it was AOL, I would have some other problem going on with them that would tend to make me think in this direction. As far as the question of doing a backup completely before, the answer to this question is yes I have. Actually, I found out that my information was missing when I went to do another Image Backup of my System. At this time, when I went to do this last backup, it was actually about the 3rd one I had completed. But I have also got a MagicJack hooked to my PC. I Love the thing, myself.....but not long ago, I was having trouble with it not being able to recieve an update they had put out for it. I had recieved many updates before concernng this, but this last time, I had to call, them, and tell them, that for some reason, I couldn't get it to work after the update was installed. So the girl I was telling about this problem who worked for the Company, called some oher girl, who was a real stick in the mud.......kinda had a attitude problem, .....well she had me download a program so that she could take control of my PC....And so I was trying to watch her as she moved my mouse around...thinking I might learn something here if I watched her.........Wow! was I wrong about that....She took over my PC and started going into my files in places, I didn't know existed on my PC! And fast too......she took over and she brought up the Command Prompt....and she started changing things around in my PC so fast that I couldn't beleive it. But I mean whatever she did....my MagicJack has worked like it did when I first bought it 4yrs ago......But like I said.....the girl was a real snob....I was going to thank her for fixing the problem.....but she was on and off and gone before....I could say anything....So she is the only person, that I think may have done something to my PC, that I am not aware of. Also, I wanted to tell you all....that Microsoft tells you in their instructions when you make a Sys Image Backup.....to run it after you complete one.....to see if it worked......Well, I never did this the first couple of times I made it....But the last time I completed one, I did, rund it to make sure that it was working properly......But since then is when I discovered, I do not have the OEM files in there........I guess that's what is missing? I can go there as I have stated earlier.....just when I get there...the files are missing to do anything......nothing to click on once I'm there except.....Back to Control Panel....????? Now as far as what tweaking software I have on my PC, is not much, but it is good......I have TuneUp Utilities 2011.......Diskeeper 2011.......I sometimes have run Glary Utilities, so I can use their file checking error programs, that claims it checks to make sure all the OS system files are correct and if not will download them or extract them from the backup partition......but I don't think that really works......but it sure looks like it does....cause it takes it forever to check out the system......I really appreciate everyone's help on this mater....please let me know if there is anything else or info you need from me....I so very much thank you all, for your time on this. I am 62 year's old....I am a disabled Vietnam Veteran.......I saved and scraped up for two and half years to get this PC.....I can't believe HP won't help me with this either.....My PC is still under Warranty....but they have already told me that it runs out this month......Ther Tech guy's there just tell me to take it back to factory condition....but it's such a hassel and time consuming......and I would really like to be able to know what I did to avoid this in the future.....oh well....Thanks so very much to you all again.....Eddie

Thanks
    Run the system file checker utility to see if it can fix this part of the operating system that is missing or corrupt:
    1st, open an elevated command prompt from within the admin account with FULL admin privileges.

Once you have the elevated command prompt open, copy and past, or type "sfc /scannow" exactly as shown without the quotes, then hit the enter key.

More information is contained within the above links that will walk you through the steps. No guarantee that this will work, but it is worth trying.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Eddie, some things you said cause me to suspect you may not know the following. Excuse me, if it sounds like I'm "talking down" to you. There are two kinds of Win7 backups. One is a "system image", which is like one big file - a picture of a drive. The other is a backup of certain types of files (set up in the Backup setup procedure), that is usually done often - I do it daily. The system image backup is done less often, and you cannot restore individual files from it, only the whole drive - C: for example. When you create either of these types of backup, you must tell it what drive to put it on. (I put them both on an external drive - the I drive).

If you have a system image, it will be in a directory called WindowsImageBackup, and you can see it on Explorer with a subdirectory named after your PC, and under that, the backup image itself, named whatever you called it when you created it. (see attachments for examples.)

If you have a file backup, it will be inside a directory called EddiesPC, or something like that, and the files will be named like "Backup Set yyyy-mm-dd nnnnnn". (also see attachment.)

You could have also sent your System Image backup to a DVD or CD drive. I'm not sure if it would then show on your Backup Control panel screen???
    Or, maybe you send it to an external drive, like I did, and that drive is not mounted???
    If you put backups on your C: drive, and the C: drive crashes, you have no backup. External drives are a bit costly for you, perhaps, but DVDs are pretty cheap (if you have a writable DVD drive). (I keep a system image on DVD, in case the I: drive gets toasted.)

Hope this helps. Let us know if you find the above named system image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the same screen with only the header. I never had AOL or an outside user run the computer. I ran SFC but no help, Toshiba and Microsoft said the only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows. That's a big job now so I'm using Macrium Reflect for imaging and Back4Sure for backups. I'd sure like to know if there's an easier fix.
    Last edited by Big Jim; 2011-02-10 at 14:48. Reason: typing error

Thanks
    If you don't want to reinstall all your applications, you can try a Windows 7 Repair install .
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I only have the OEM Windows 7 Factory Restore/Recovery type of installation disc from Toshiba.
    Thanks anyway