Thread: Ready for SP1 ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ready for SP1 ?

Hello all.

I got this update 2 days ago. I now wonder on its description if it was at all needed. It says that it is relevant to a 64-bit system. I found out a short while back that even if I run W-7 in 64-bit mode, my machine is not really a 64-bit capable one. The following paragraph is from my Updates history.

JoeP, what do you think ? Thanks. Jean.

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976902)
    Installation date: ‎01/‎02/‎2011 7:53 AM
    Installation status: Successful
    Update type: Important
    Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, it cannot be removed.
    More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902
    Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Leave it alone. There are both 32-bit & 64-bit versions of the patch. Windows update would select the correct version for your PC. If you are not sure about the "bitness" of Windows 7, go to the Start orb, right click on Computer and select Properties. In the "System" section see "System Type".

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for your comeback.

>>> If you are not sure about the "bitness" of Windows 7, go to the Start orb, right click on Computer and select Properties. In the "System" section see "System Type".

That works fine but I am not on the "in question" machine. I will come back tomorrow. Sleep tight. . . . Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Joe, thanks for your comeback.

>>> If you are not sure about the "bitness" of Windows 7, go to the Start orb, right click on Computer and select Properties. In the "System" section see "System Type".

That works fine but I am not on the "in question" machine. I will come back tomorrow. Sleep tight. . . . Jean.
    Jean,

Your machine (the "problematic" one) is running a Windows 7 x64 version. Never mind that it can't access all the memory available, but it is a computer running 7 x64. For all practical purposes it is a 64 bit machine, OS wise, so you need to choose whatever software versions of patches, software, etc, that are available for Windows 7 x64.

Regards

Rui

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Rui & JoeP.

I thought that it was after a redo, a 64-bit machine. Here is the proof :

0rui.jpg

What had me scratching my dome is that it would not see the 4 G of RAM, it was then properly explained to me why. Darn bridges !

If you look at this .jpg, you will see the line that says: "Change Product Keys". when I redid this machine to Win-7 in 64 bit, it would not accept the proper product keys. I have no idea why but it accepted the keys for the Toshiba laptop, again search me why.

I have just used that option to change them to their "legal" inputs and now, they were accepted. Pretty loose verification this is. I totally ignore the behind the scene "on-goings" in this verification, if they get rejected along the next month or so, I would then go back to the Toshiba ones. Computors will always amaze me !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Jean,

I guess this could take us to the discussion of what is a 64 bit machine. It seems the criteria is basically whether your CPU is a 64 bit CPU or not. Seems your CPU is. Of course, by not being able to address more than 3 GB of RAM in Windows, you lose some of the advantages of being able to run one of the 64 bit Windows versions, but you are still able to do it.

License authentication can be flaky sometimes. It has happened with me too, while using Windows Anytime Upgrade, but it eventually ended up working well.