New Lounger
    Thanks

I no longer can download files from websites

With the exception of Windows Update when trying to download a file I get this message, "Internet Explorer cannot dowwnload (file name) from (web site).
    Internet Explorer was unable to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later". I have XP PRO with SP3 and IE8 with default settings and there are no other problems that I am aware of. When the problem started about a month ago I had not made any changes to my confuser nor had I installed any updates etc. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tfspry For This Useful Post:

239flathead (2011-02-21)

Thanks
    Another, simpler way to delete the index.dat file as suggested in tfspy's above link would be the use of the program Privacy Mantra.
    Ensure the system is restarted immediately after the app is run and a clean is effected.
    Untitled.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Another, simpler way to delete the index.dat file as suggested in tfspy's above link would be the use of the program Privacy Mantra.
    Ensure the system is restarted immediately after the app is run and a clean is effected.
    Untitled.jpg
    Or CCleaner, if it's already installed, as the problem's downloading files in the first instance.

Thanks
    Unfortunately CCleaner won't do it (delete the index.dat file), you will need to follow the above article if you cannot download with IE.

Thanks
    Ok Clint, CCleaner doesn't delete the index.dat files, it only clears the contents of them - but is it imperative that the files are deleted?

Why would using Privacy Mantra, which doesn't appear to be a commonly-installed app, be simpler when the OP can't download?

Thanks
    I have found that CCleaner and Privacy Mantra seem to find different items to delete, so I use both any time I want to empty temp. files, like when I'm preparing to create a new Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Ok Clint, CCleaner doesn't delete the index.dat files, it only clears the contents of them - but is it imperative that the files are deleted?

Why would using Privacy Mantra, which doesn't appear to be a commonly-installed app, be simpler when the OP can't download?
    CCleaner does neither clear the contents of the index.dat file nor deletes it.
    As I said earlier, the OP will have to resort to using the article tfspry had presented if he/she is not able to download with IE.
    The OP could also have had access to another computer or even another browser on the same computer.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-02-07 at 21:57.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    CCleaner does neither clear the contents of the index.dat file nor deletes it.
    As I said earlier, the OP will have to resort to using the article tfspry had presented if he/she is not able to download with IE.
    The OP could also have had access to another computer or even another browser on the same computer.
    Neither does Privacy Mantra, according to my quick and dirty test.

Thanks
    That is because the index.dat file cannot be deleted while windows is running, a restart is required, as I previously mentioned.

Thanks
    Clint is correct. Even using Privacy Mantra, you will find a couple of items that are listed as being deleted on the next reboot, including the index.dat file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The treatment of index.dat files by CCleaner is probably the most common point of confusion about the software. To affect the index.dat files, both the “Index.dat files” and “History” selections under the Internet Explorer section must be checked. The index.dat files are emptied, not deleted, and neither the before or after status of the files, or their contents, show up in the right hand Analyze pane, so it appears nothing was found or nothing happened, which is not the case. Also, since CCleaner empties the index.dat files, rather than deleting them, there is no need to reboot the computer. The ability of CCleaner to empty the index.dat files has been verified by the CCleaner forum moderator, forum members, and third party analysis.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30995&st=20&p=185341&#entry185 341

http://www.timeatlas.com/useful_utilities/free/ccleaner_removes_trash_and_tracks

Thanks
    Confirmed the above information regarding CCleaner's index.dat cleaning ability by testing as per above link;
    CCleaner will clear the contents of the index.dat file without booting, the size prior to clearing remains relatively unchanged though.