New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Clean Out Detritus

My wife's Sony VGN-FS690 (512 MB RAM), Windows XP Pro, SP3 and fully patched, is running slower and slower; not only boot/shutdown but executing programs also. It is 4 years old now and I am sure it has a bunch of left-overs that are clogging the system. I have done all the usual stuff - used Fred's batch file to remove temp/log/etc files, dumped caches, uninstalled programs no longer used, & defraged. Also run MSCONFIG and turned off all I can find.

What i would like to do is a fresh install of the OS, but she-who-must-be-obeyed insists that when I have done that in the past i have 'lost things'.

So, any ideas on how I could speed things up (I plan to upgrade the RAM to 1 GB which is all this machine is rated for)?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Mark - A couple of thoughts .....
    1)The RAM upgrade will help.
    2)Turn off Auto Updates.
    3)How much of a resource hog is your AV/AM program?
    4)Look in Task Manager for
    a) Number of processes running.
    b) High CPU processes
    c) High MemUsage processes
    5)Consider using Chrome as your browser.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tfspry For This Useful Post:

docusn (2011-02-08)

Thanks
    The best thing you could do to speed up the PC is add another 512 megs of memory. Recent Microsoft updates have resulted in higher memory usage causing your PC to page to hard disk more often. I have upgraded the memory from 512 megs in several XP machines of friends lately and they all showed significant performance improvements.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course a RAM upgrade will help. The issue is that it was faster than it is now with the same amount of RAM.

Run Wise Registry Cleaner.
    http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html

Per Fred: "Delete old $NtUninstall{xxx}$ files from XP's C:\Windows folder; these files can occupy a shocking amount of space! You need these files only when a Windows Update fails and you (or the OS) have to roll back your system. If your system is working fine, $NtUninstall files serve no purpose." Or see below.

Use CCleaner.
    Under Options, Select Settings. Check C Drive and also select Wipe MFT Free Space.
    On the cleaner tab, in addition to whatever you'd like to check, check Wipe Free Space in the Advanced section. (to free up even more space, check Hoftfix Uninstallers, which does what Fred's tip above does.)
    I have no idea why this should make any difference, but it seems to speed up things on my Dell laptop.

If you defragged with Windows Defragmenter, try Auslogics Diskdefrag, either the portable or regular install version.
    http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...frag/#portable

6. The Following User Says Thank You to renman For This Useful Post:

docusn (2011-02-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    One more thing that may save you MBs of space.

Most (but not all) programs that have multiple languages can run with just one language file. Search for folders and sub-folders named lang. That will find folders named lang and languages.

Look in the folders and delete all languages that are not your native language. (Make sure you know what program you're dealing with.) Delete them to the recycle bin, and try the program. If it works fine, then empty the recycle bin.

Start with your freeware programs first, since they're easier to reinstall if necessary.

Thanks
    Copy contents of disk: Keep her happy.
    Clean install
    Upgrade RAM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

docusn (2011-02-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

CLiNT - keep her happy IS job one. Great idea.

Mark