5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Program/App that will send text messages

I want to have a utility that can be run by the Task Scheduler that can send a text message to my phone. This needs to run on my laptop under Vista. Does such a utility exist?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    SMS gateways exist but it's much cheaper / easier to use an online service. Sometimes your phone company will allow you to text via their website. Doing it from a program requires you connect to your SMS provider and fill in the appropriate boxes. You can probably do this via AutoIt or similar.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've sent E-Mail text from my computer to my wife's cellphone so maybe it's down to the scheduling for sending messages.
    http://hacknmod.com/hack/email-to-te...t-virgin-more/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T: Thanks for that info. That sounds like an approach that I can pursue and see if I can get it done that way. I have a Verizon phone so I'll start there.

Berton: Thanks for that very interesting info. I doubt that I will pursue that approach but it was very interesting to read about.

Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd opt for the method in Berton's post, using Blat to send the email from the command line.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I'd opt for the method in Berton's post, using Blat to send the email from the command line.
    Paul: Yes I really like that Blat approach that does not have to open Thunderbird in order to send the message. I'll experiment with this for a while.

Thanks,
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also use the Send-MailMessage command in PowerShell to send email-to-text from a scheduled task.

In any command-line mailer, you'll need to know the SMS email address of the device you are sending text to.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how this thread got to email sending. I have had the same interest as this discussion started with. That is why I opened it to read. I would like to sit down at my computer and send a text message to other peoples phones using my computer keyboard rather than the phone. I have large fingers and find it frustrating to use the phone keyboard.

Is there any way to set this up?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can do this by sending an email to an address at the service provider, as indicated in the link in post 3.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can do this by sending an email to an address at the service provider, as indicated in the link in post 3.

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul,

I am not well education on this topic, so I am having a hard time understanding this email-text link. If I am having a conversation with someone I text and they text back and it goes into a "conversation" in the text mail program. Will sending an email link into that. I can already send an email to the email ap on a phone.

Thanks,
    Bill

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the text via email will be separate. If you just want a bigger keypad you may be able to hook the phone to your computer and use the phone software to do the work.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I tried that but cannot find anything in the software. I will call my provider.