3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File doesn't copy to USB stick tho plenty of room

This is a problem I come across occasionally copying a file from an HDD to a 16gb USB stick. To pick an example that just occurred, the file is a 4.5 gb .mkv video and the USB stick has 4.6 gb free, yet I get a 'destination disk is full' error message. Maybe too tight. So I start deleting files (350-750mb) from the stick one by one and test after each. Same message, all the way up to 6.3 gb free. Then I do everything from refreshing the USB stick to defragging to rebooting the computer. Still the same. The stick is good and this occurs with both XYplorer and Windows Explorer (xp/sp3). Any explanations? Thanks.
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-02-05 at 22:56.

Thanks
    What's the file type on the USB FAT32 or NTFS ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    What RR was getting at is the maximum file size on a FAT {File Allocation Table} formatted drive is 4 Gigabytes.

To check Right-Click on the device in Explorer and select Properties.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Suspected there was a simple explanation. In looking around, the alternatives are reformatting to NTFS or exFAT. With NTFS, the downside is having to use Safely Remove Hardware everytime or expect data corruption. Does that caveat apply to exFAT? I didn't find any mention of it and so went ahead on a spare 8gb stick to see what happens. Thanks.

Thanks
    highstream, my USB's are all NTFS and I always use 'safely remove' even though they are set as:-

Attachment 27382
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That need has to do with the nature of NTFS, doesn't it? Turned out the media box doesn't like exFAT.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It is not just the nature of NTFS. NTFS is much more robust and stable than any of the FAT varieties. It is the nature of a removable device and how the OS intereacts with them.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I don't have independent expertise, in citing issues about NTFS, Safely Remove and data corruption I was repeating what I'd found on several technical sites via a google search for something like 'USB format FAT32.' Virtually all said the same thing about NTFS and USB, and counterposed it to working with FAT32 (and implicitly exFAT). Here's one example from http://www.pcmech.com/article/fat32-...-stick-how-to/

"DRAWBACK: [to using NTFS]
    Yes there is a drawback to this and a rather large one.
    When you have your USB stick set up in this mode, you absolutely must use the "Safely Remove Hardware" method before disconnecting the stick from the computer and you absolutely CANNOT forget to do this. If you do, the data is sure to get corrupted in short order."

I've never had any data corruption problems attributable to FAT32 and choosing/using quick removal with several USB sticks and didn't find any sites that cited any.
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-02-07 at 15:07.