Thread: emptying cache

New Lounger
    Thanks

emptying cache

with IE8 i empty the cache. i then run toni arts 'easycleaner', 'remove unnecessary files', and up come all the temp internet files (inexplicably with an 'IE5' folder address/location). next i delete those and then i see them all in the recycle bin and delete them from there.

the same thing happens with chrome - clear cache, run easycleaner, up come files, delete, there they are in the recycle bin.

why are these files still around after the cache clearance? if i hadn't run the regcleaner i wouldn't even have known they were still around. where do they go? this IE5 folder has eluded me, even though i'm in 'show all hidden files mode' and have looked at all the temp internet folders on the hard drive.

thanks.

Thanks
    Many, if not most here do not use/run "Toni Arts Easyclearner". Try an alternate of your choice like CCleaner, Privacy Mantra, or both.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thnx for this clint. would possibly be happy to try another reg cleaner, but doesn't my question remain the same? i.e. where do the items cleared from the cache go? easy cleaner is just showing me that they're still in there after 'clearing the cache'. presumably this would still be the case with a different reg cleaner?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Temp File cleaning vs Registry cleaning !?

Hi : I think you may be confusing temp file cleaning with registry cleaning !? Based on the Opinions of several security-oriented Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals ( see their negative Comments about "Registry Cleaners" in the thread at http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 ;they even comment on "Easy Cleaner") , perhaps it would be best to use a FREE program like "ATF Cleaner", developed by antispyware Expert "A Tribune" and available on his website !?
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thnx for this spiritwind. first, btw, easy cleaner is free. i read the discussion you linked to and actually easy cleaner gets a good review from fred langa. more importantly, i'm not confusing temp file cleaning with a registry cleaner (which does a number of different tasks) or even with registry cleaning. in fact let's just drop the whole registry cleaner thing from this discussion. here's the main question, as highlighted in my original subject line, 'emptying cache':

when you empty your cache (of temp internet files), where do the files go? it appears to me that they go somewhere else on the hard drive, and then have to be winkled out of there into the recycle bin before being removed.

(and i can't exactly find where 'there' is, despite having the addresses of the files, which show up in easy cleaner when i click on 'find unnecessary files', and despite having my computer set to 'show all hidden files'.)

thnx for any more answers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arty44 View Post
    thnx for this clint. would possibly be happy to try another reg cleaner, but doesn't my question remain the same? i.e. where do the items cleared from the cache go? easy cleaner is just showing me that they're still in there after 'clearing the cache'. presumably this would still be the case with a different reg cleaner?
    Like anything that gets deleted, it remains exactly where it is at. Only the file pointer information is removed. Nothing really gets deleted, only alowed to be overwritten.

There will also be an index file that remains as well. It cannot be deleted while the operating system is running, and therefore requires removal upon boot.
    The index.dat file in the browser cache can grow quite large and contain a trail of information showing the viewer where you have been browsing.
    I have found that Privacy Mantra does a decent job with removal provided the computer is restarted after running the app.
    And yes, there may be registry data remaining as well. Removing or leaving this would be of little consequence either way.