New Lounger
    Thanks

Viewing E-mail attachments

For a long time after I got my Gateway, Vista 64 computer using Firefox, I was able to click on an attachment to an e-mail (a picture, pdf doc, etc.) and it would open immediately. This changed for no apparent reason some time ago and I can't find a reason for the change or how to resolve it. Now when I receive these e-mail attachments, if I click on the attachment it appears that the computer attempts to open it for just a flash but it never does. I have to right click, select open in a new tab, save the attachment to the computer and then open it. Obviously, this is a pain. Can anyone tell me what is happening and how to fix it? I have looked thru windows and Firefox without finding an answer.

Thanks
    Hi Ipars114,

What online e-mail service are you using?

One easy thing to try is deleting your cookies and browser history. Another is to check your malware program settings. You might look under "real-time" protection, to see if there is an entry concerning threats in e-mail or web mail attachments. If there are, uncheck the option to see if that clears up the difficulty.

If none of the above are helpful, try disabling your Firefox add-ons to see what impact that has. If the problem clears up, enable each add-on one at a time, check an attachment, and continue to do so until the add-on causing the conflict is revealed.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Hi ipars114, if my twin, (if I had one) my mother or HM The Queen sent me an attachment, it would be scanned before opening.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Roderunners point is well taken. If the setting under "real time" protection is the cause of the issue, then it would be a good time to reinstall your malware software or change to an entirely different one. If it is working correctly, it would never block all attachments.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There have been many problems through the years in anti-virus plugins for e-mail. It seemed for quite a while that no vendor was immune to performance problems, mail delivery issues, and other "normal" bugs. Quite a few people & companies have disabled these addins and forced users to save attachments before opening them. With almost all A/V software the attachment gets scanned twice. Once on saving it and once on opening it.

Joe