New Lounger
    Thanks

backing up and restoring encrypted data

I have set up a FreeNAS server with RAID1 disk drive mirroring. One of the options I can add is encrypted hard drives. My question is how is it best to backup an encrypted drive to make sure that in a worst case scenerio. ie 2 hard drive failure, corrupted data, or other failure that I would be able to access my encrypted data on another machine. I have asked on the FreeNAS forums on SourceForge but so far no one has answered.

I see lots of information on the benefit of encrypting sensitive data but I rarely see any comments of how this encryption actually affects backups and recovery from software or hardware or operator errors.

Can any of you shed light on this topic?

Cumbres

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Encryption can be a dangerous thing and is generally frowned upon for backups - you don't want to find out you can't access the backup password you need to restore the data. The same is true for remote storage.
    Physical security is the best option, but you can create encrypted partitions for sensitive data using Truecrypt, as these can be backed up because they are just a large file.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Encryption can be a dangerous thing and is generally frowned upon for backups - you don't want to find out you can't access the backup password you need to restore the data. The same is true for remote storage.
    Physical security is the best option, but you can create encrypted partitions for sensitive data using Truecrypt, as these can be backed up because they are just a large file.

cheers, Paul
    That was exactly my concern. I will have to see if Truecrypt or something similar will run on a FreeNAS box. I hadn't thought about that program.

Cumbres

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TrueCrypt runs on your PC but can use an encrypted file on the NAS box.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    TrueCrypt runs on your PC but can use an encrypted file on the NAS box.

cheers, Paul
    I discovered that reading on the FreeNAS site also. I will try to implement that this next week and see how it works. I had played with Truecrypt a few years ago but didn't have enough free disk space available to work with the size data I had to store.

Thanks!