Bronze Lounger
    Birkirkara, Malta

Win 7 Pro-System Images & System Restore

My OS is Win7 Pro 32 bit.

I have created a system image of my C and D drives, using the process built into Windows, and the system image folder contains a number of XML files. When I click on them Internet Explorer says navigation to the web page has been cancelled, and immediately after that IE stops responding. Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem, and what the XML files are for?

Apart from the above, System Restore includes a restore point for the system image. Would there be any different result between restoring the system image from system restore and using a repair disk to restore from the image? (I assume not).

Finally, if I mounted the VHD files created by the system image would that enable me to restore individual files/folders?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy Whitethread

North Carolina, USA
    Hi Roy,

How To Geek has an excellent tutorial on how to backup files and do system images using Windows 7 Backup and Restore. You will be able to restore individual files and folders.

Using the Create a Repair Disc option in Windows Backup will enable you to restore your backup by booting to the CD, and I believe the How To Geek tutorial touches on that as well.

Third party image backup programs such as Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect offer more flexibility and options. Check the Security & Backups Forum for several threads addressing imaging issues.

BTW, I am going to move your thread to the Security & Backups Forum as that is the better Forum for your thread.

I did try the built in Win 7 Backup Imaging app and found that it was too restrictive. I have since graduated to Acronis True Image Home 2010 for my wife's PC and 2011 for mine. Like them both. I would also recommend checking the various posts on Imaging. Also be advised that one Image when your system is new is far from complete. This will only get you back to new, but any changes and customizations will have to be redone. I create a new Image when I make changes to my system. This allows me to get back much closer to where I'm at when I screw something up.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy