2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 Slow to Terminate

For some reason the time required to terminate Word 2003 has become really slow.

When I start Word (or Excel or Powerpoint) they take about 10 seconds to start up - that's cool, its a 7 year old notebook running XP-SP3, that's what they've always been.

But Word is taking 3-4 minutes to terminate, this happens if Word is started and then immediately closed. Yet when I close Excel or Powerpoint they terminate in a second or two, and until recently Word did the same.

I've defragged the disk, but that hasn't helped.

Avast is the main AV app but I've also ran the TrendMicro, Norton & MacAfee Web and MalwareBytes standalone scanners over the system, they didn't find anything. There's no other indication of any malware, i.e. everything else seems to be working normally.

My partner has done quite a lot of customising of Office, so I'm loathe to reinstall Office for fear of not being able to restore her configuration. We haven't installed any extra software for about 12 months. The system is fully up to date with respect to MS updates.

If I kill Word with Process Explorer it terminates immediately with no apparent residual harm, but that's not a satisfactory workaround.

Any ideas would be welcome.

TIA
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2011-02-08 at 20:41. Reason: typo

Thanks
    If you are exiting Word with all documents already closed, then I think the only thing left for Word to do is check to see whether Normal.dot (and perhaps other global templates) need to be saved. If you make a backup or two of Normal.dot and then rename it (e.g., Normal.not) does Word behave correctly? If so, that might indicate some corruption in the file. If not, hmmm...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2011-02-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Corrupt or excessively large normal.dot would certainly be my number 1 suspect. What size is normal.dot?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TerFar For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2011-02-09)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,

when the computer comes back from it's trip in a couple of days I'll have a look at normal.dot - as suggested I'll rename it and retry.

cheers nw2222

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And of course, you have done the standard cleaning process? With Ccleaner?

Oskarius
    Last edited by Oskarius38; 2011-02-10 at 11:23. Reason: I forget the "From"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oskarius38 For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2011-02-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskarius38 View Post
    And of course, you have done the standard cleaning process? With Ccleaner?
    Nuh, I'll try that if normal.dot isn't the problem, the computers staying in SNG till next Mon/Tue - but I don't see why "rubbish" would effect Word & not other progs.

FWIW I do maintenance tasks manually, then I can see anything unusual and take action. IMO CCleaner & its ilk hide as many problems as they resolve.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    If you are exiting Word with all documents already closed, then I think the only thing left for Word to do is check to see whether Normal.dot (and perhaps other global templates) need to be saved. If you make a backup or two of Normal.dot and then rename it (e.g., Normal.not) does Word behave correctly? If so, that might indicate some corruption in the file. If not, hmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by TerFar View Post
    Corrupt or excessively large normal.dot would certainly be my number 1 suspect. What size is normal.dot?
    You got it in one guys. I renamed normal.dot to normal.doze - voila instant termination, and a shiny new normal.dot, the old one was a lot smaller, it's gone now.

Thanks a lot from both of us.

NW2222
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2011-02-15 at 04:04.