New Lounger
    Thanks

Google Earth on Win 7

Google Earth will not run on my Win 7 64 bit desktop. It downloads but i get a black screen where the earth should be. Help!!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall with the most current version?

Did you run the installer "as administrator"?

Have you checked Google Earth: Help?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes to all, several times. I am the only user so I am the administrator. I ran help and ran the server check that said it is working.

Lew

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Have you tried changing the graphics mode, maybe even using safe mode?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Version 5.2.1.1588 working OK here on Win 7 64bit Pro.

Could be that its getting blocked at the firewall, if you're using the Windows firewall go to Control Panel->System & Security->Windows Firewall->Allowed Programs.

mine looks like this, Google Earth install added the entry into this list.

10-02-2011_114917 AM.jpg

If its not there trying adding it manually via the "Allow another program" dialogue. It's a bit slow as it searches for programs to put in its list. If its not in the list, then that's odd. But you can use the Browse button to navigate to the program and select it manually. Make sure you tick the right boxes

If you're using another firewall you may need to add Google Earth to its list of allowed programs.

FYI I have UAC turned off - but I don't think that will have any effect

Oh, do you get the Start Up Tips dialogue when it starts ? It should appear on top of the black screen just before the earth image starts to come into view?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lewengel View Post
    Yes to all, several times. I am the only user so I am the administrator. I ran help and ran the server check that said it is working.
    Remember that with Windows 7, even though your user is a member of the adminstrative group it still does not have the same privileges as the builtin Administrator. Some programs are not yet setup to work with the Windows 7 security structure and thus must be "run as administrator". "Run as administrator" gives that particular execution temporary elevated priviliges.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today, I installed a new version of the driver for my AMD ATI Radeon 4350 graphics card. While reading the help file in Catalyst Control Center (ccc.exe), pertaining to resolution settings, I read something to the effect of "if you mess this up, some video will be a black screen...". I cannot find it again, now, but perhaps it has something to do with settings on your graphics card program.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a somewhat similiar issue with my display. I also have the same ATI 4350. This will be a little wordy but here goes. My issue occurred this way. I downloaded a new game and it didn't play like it should, very stuttery. My system is a year old, Win7 64 bit, high end processor etc so I know it more than met the system requirements. In my effort to fix it I came accross this Catalyst whatever the hell it is thing. I let it upgrade a display driver. What it did was change my display screen. I had a approx 1" black band around the outside of each side of the monitor, it shrunk my screen. I checked the screen resolution and all settings and they were where they were supposed to be. I "tried" to read the help section in Catalyst and it was so wordy I said the hell with it. Then on a lark I went to Device Manager (many ways to get there, you can just type in device manager into the search box on the start menu). Open Device Manager and then open the Display adapters. Then I selected the ATI Radeon 4350 and then the Driver tab. I selected Update Drivers. I let it search, find and update my driver and viola. My screen was fixed. Not sure if this will work for you but it did for me. Hope this may help you.
    Last edited by James S; 2011-02-11 at 07:22.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    James S, I used my one year old Dell system all this time, with about 1/2" black outline around the monitor, thinking that was the way it was supposed to be, until I discovered this Catalyst Control Center. There is a setting in it called "overscan", with a slider bar, so you can see the results immediately on changing it. Mine was set at about 5 or 10 percent, I think, and I moved it to 0. Now, the screen is filled completely - no black margin. Felt pretty ignorant, but I guess I let it slide because my new monitor was so much bigger than my old one that it didn't really matter.