iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Cut-and-paste leaves recoverable data behind

LANGALIST PLUS

Cut-and-paste leaves recoverable data behind

By Fred Langa

If you're concerned about deleted-data security, you need to think about what happens when you move or cut-and-paste files.

It takes an extra step or two, but free software including two little-known tools from Microsoft can make all your deleted data safe from data snoops, regardless of how the files were originally deleted.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/02/10/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Widgi

It's not only an IE BHO its also a Firefox Toolbar and a Firefox Search Engine (yahoo.co.uk) that must be removed via the Manage Search Engines dialogue.

In FF WIDGI hijacks 404 errors etc

Looks like PDFCreator is one source of this malware - http://www.pdfforge.org/forum/open-d...re-and-spyware

I've removed PDFCreator from my system. Pity PDFCreator is a good product that I've used it for years, but recently they've been adding quite a lot of this sort of rubbish. I've replaced it with the Bullzip PDF Printer software - first glance looks pretty good, the install didn't try to load tool bars or other gadgets.
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2011-02-09 at 22:04.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I highly recommend Eraser from http://eraser.heidi.ie/. (If anyone is concerned about it coming from Ireland, it's proven safe for the few years I've been using it.)

Eraser is free, has a variety of erasing options, does from 1 to 35 passes, is easy to configure, installs a right-click "Erase" option in both Windows Explorer (files or folders) and the Recycle Bin, and has a built-in scheduler. It supports all versions of Windows from XP-SP3 through Win7 and Server 2008R2. Although the web site doesn't say so, it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7. The only weakness I've found is that sometimes it won't erase an icon directly from the desktop, but it will erase the same icon from Explorer or the Recycle Bin (if just deleted).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another security concern with the possibility of recovering deleted files is that even if you deleted & overwrote the file, it may still be there in your backups. I use Windows 7 backup & once a file is there, you cant get rid of it unless you remove all backups from the file deletion date & those previous to that date.

There may be a way, butI have not been able to delete a document from a particular backup without deleting the entire backup.

Thanks
    Wiping free space on a large hard drive is so time-consuming that I do not recommend it. As you go along, Secure File Deletion is almost as effective, and it is an option with CCleaner, but only for those areas which CCleaner cleans. There comes a time when security and privacy become so burdensome that the computer is rendered useless, and wiping free space is way over the line in this regard.

If you want a free PDF Reader and Printer combo which will not install unwanted software or BHOs, try Nitro PDF and its Primo PDF printing companion, available here .
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-02-11 at 03:56.
    -- Bob Primak --