Thanks

Scheduling automatic updates for download limits

I know the arguments for not using this, but it is the only option which is "supposed to" schedule a time to download and install updates.

My internet provider is one with a daily download limit, except between 1 AM and 7 AM eastern times.(I'm in central) I have my updates scheduled during that time period, except that it doesn't happen.

I don't care what time Windows CHECKS for updates, but don't download them except during my free download period.

Any ideas? other than getting up earlier in the morning?

BJ

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    A PS to my previous post: This worked with XP, but I have a new computer so now have Win 7
    BJ

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it work when you do it manually?

Thanks
    Check in the services section to ensure WU is set only to Automatic, not "Automatic (delayed start)".
    Ensure you have WU configured and run from an admin account.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I know the arguments for not using this, but it is the only option which is "supposed to" schedule a time to download and install updates.

My internet provider is one with a daily download limit, except between 1 AM and 7 AM eastern times.(I'm in central) I have my updates scheduled during that time period, except that it doesn't happen.

I don't care what time Windows CHECKS for updates, but don't download them except during my free download period.

Any ideas? other than getting up earlier in the morning?

BJ
    As the updates are rather small and infrequent I would not worry, unless your d/l limit is very limited.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    True about the updates usually being small, but with three Win7 computers running in the family and the rest of our day in day out usage, 200MB goes fast. I just try to schedule as much as I can while it is free.

Clint I have double checked the settings on WU and it is running from admin account and set up correctly. Will wait for the next round and see if maybe it works.

Thanks to all.

BJ

Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not just set the updates to notify you but don't download? Then you can download and install X number of them one day at a time. Nothing says they all have to be done at once.
    Ed

Thanks
    That is what I have been doing, but the others in the family do not always remember and just "let it fly". Ah well, it will all work out eventually if the phone co would ever get the DSL lines out to me here in the country.

BJ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Automatic Updates check for updates every 17 - 22 hours. See the Windows Update explained Word document.

If you care to dig into the registry you can modify the automatic update frequency. See the "Automatic Update Configuration Settings" section atConfigure automatic updates in a non-Active Directory environment.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe, but I am a registry coward!!
    BJ