2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Hard Drives

New motherboard, FIC WA-503+ with AWARD PCI/PNP 586 BIOS. The machine will not recognize the hard drives, but will boot up in A:. Western Digital EZ-install sees the drive and has formatted, and runs the sector/cylinder tests okay. I've changed drives, IDE ports, and cables. I've tried the BIOS password release. I've tried loading BIOS defaults, and BIOS Setup defaults. The IDE stuff is all set to AUTO.
    I've run out of ideas, I hope you have more...
    Andy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Hard Drives

I would think that EZ-install would offer you a setup option, by-passing the system bios.

If you are installing W2k, you may be able to get it to by-pass the system bios, and recognize the HD. To do so, you will need to make copies of the four setup disks from the W2k CD, located in the 'bootdisk' folder. Then start with disk 1 and follow directions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Couldn't find anything in EZ-Install that would set up the BIOS. EZ must have a way to bypass BIOS, since it gets to the hard drive.
    Don't have W2000 to make the test you mentioned.
    Further info though is: PartitionMagic (in a very superior tone of voice) reports the drive is NOT being serviced by BIOS, and says the BIOS is not recognizing/servicing Interrupt 13h.
    I suspect there is some tiny thing I'm just not doing to make it all well.
    Thanks for the reply -- any other ideas?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How big are the hard drives? You may need a BIOS upgrade, if they are very large. Try m/board manufacturer's website for BIOS upgrade.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good thought but...the drives tried were a working 500meg, another like it, and a 1200meg. The trouble as I see it now is that the drives, cables, etc. are ok but..... Will try the mfg'rs site just to see if there is an upgrade, in my opinion they should! Could I flash the BIOS from A:? Else it looks like it's soldered in. Any other thoughts anyone?
    Andy

Lounger
    Thanks

A complete shot in the dark (as i have never built a PC from scratch or played about with the BIOS that much) what about the BIOS settings for cylinders/sectors etc for each drive? Are the manually set, auto, disabled etc ?
    Ewan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andy
    Sorry if you have done this, but as I haven't seen you mention it... are your drives set to Master and Slave appropriately? This requires jumper settings and cannot be done from the BIOS.

Would it be possible to upgrade your OS to SE?

Otherwise, it's beginning to look like a faulty board.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you can flash BIOS from a floppy. Download for BIOS upgrade should include flash.exe or similar file; but ideally also instructions. If not, post what you do get and I will try to give you a step-by-step, if required. Unless the m/board is seriously old (in computer terms!), it should support drives of that size. What is it?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hadn't thought of master/slave settings, but I should have - always go to the simplest solution first!