Thread: Deleting files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting files

I read the following online recently.

<<browse to all users’ temporary files. These are typically found within the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp directory within Windows XP or the C:\Users\Username\App Data\Local\Temp folder within Windows Vista.
    Delete everything within the temporary folders. Many threats hide there seeking to regenerate upon system startup. >>

When it says delete everything within the temporary folders, does that mean the .tmp files or all the files irrespective of extension and all the subfolders as well?

Thanks
    You can navigate to the Temp folders and delete all files contained in them, regardless of file extension, or you can download and run a program such as CCleaner and/or Privacy Mantra Free here.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Leave it to Gerald to beat me to the draw (I just got home from work). I second his recommendation on these 2 fine apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran Ccleaner as suggested. It said it had deleted a vast number of files. But MY Computer still shows exactly the same amount of free disk space as before and the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp is still full of files and subfolders.
    Last edited by philkiwi; 2011-02-09 at 20:41. Reason: typo

Thanks
    I also have a small batch file on my desktop (courtesy of Fred Langa many years ago and several Windows versions ago) that can be customized to clean temp files from any folder:

Cleanup.bat.jpg

You would have to change the lines to reflect the paths on your PC including the path you wish to clean up. I suspect you have not selected the right cleaning entries in CCleaner.

I use CCleaner, Privacy Mantra and the batch file to clean my PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft has Disk Cleanup which will also do what you are asking about if CCleaner did not get it.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...g-Disk-Cleanup

I use CCleaner too, excellent for temp files and registry.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 9 entries checked in Ccleaner, including IE Temporary Internet Files and System Temporary files. I ran it again this morning and although it claimed to have removed a vast number of files my free disk space is still the same as it was two days ago. My C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp directory is still full of files and sub-directories. I fail to see whereI am going wrong.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just installed Ccleaner on another PC which is networked with my other one. I have run Ccleaner and it has cleaned out my C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp folder apart from half a dozen DAT files, so why it can't do so on the first PC I tried it on is beyond me.

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    When some programs are working they sometimes store their temp files in the temp directory.
    (Not so Word, which stores it's temp files in the same directory as the doc, but with the ~ prefix.)
    Windows will usually prevent you from deleting the file if a program is currently using it.
    Perhaps there are programs (perhaps running in the background) that are currently using those files, so Windows won't let you delete those files.
    Try restarting the computer, then deleting the files.
    Or even starting in Safe mode and then deleting the files.
    A program like Sysinternals ProcessExplorer can help you find out what program has it locked.
    Peter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye81 said I could navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp and delete all files contained in them, regardless of file extension but did not mention the other subfolders in that folder. Is it safe to delete them also?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    Deadeye81 said I could navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp and delete all files contained in them, regardless of file extension but did not mention the other subfolders in that folder. Is it safe to delete them also?
    If all programs are closed, and nothing is actively using the Temp folder, you can delete everything in it including all of the subfolders. Nothing that should be permanent is stored in there.

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    If all programs are closed, and nothing is actively using the Temp folder, you can delete everything in it including all of the subfolders. Nothing that should be permanent is stored in there.
    I agree.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the tick-box status in
    Ccleaner->Options->Advanced: Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours?
    Easy to miss.