Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Unlock the power of the Quick Access Toolbar

TOP STORY

By Fred Langa

In just minutes, you can transform Word 2010 and other Office apps from general-purpose tools to custom software with exactly the features and functions you need.

Microsoft Word 2010, and all the Office 2010 and Office 2007 mainline applications, share a common interface that's amazingly configurable, once you know the tricks.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/02/10/01 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-02-09 at 16:56.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbcapen View Post

TOP STORY

By Fred Langa

In just minutes, you can transform Word 2010 and other Office apps from general-purpose tools to custom software with exactly the features and functions you need.

Microsoft Word 2010, and all the Office 2010 and Office 2007 mainline applications, share a common interface that's amazingly configurable, once you know the tricks.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/02/10/01 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Hi there Fred,
    Thanks so much for your Microsoft's ribbons article. I had been going to get Office 10, but I think I won't now. You see, the lack of customisability within the ribbons makes me far less productive. I find the ribbons are like wearing a straight-jacket: they are so narrow in their scope, and the number of tools that I normally use in Word would probably be easily what is available on the ribbons normally.

And I have to click through to another list to find the things I am looking for - I can't remember them by location, because there are eight other things also in that location. Microsoft's 'grouping' of tasks makes very little sense - and sometimes nonsense! - to my way of computing.

I mostly work from home, and purchased Office 7 for my home office and then didn't install it because I couldn't customise the Ribbons (I still have the brand new copy, unused, on my shelf). I use Office 7 at my 'in-town' workplace & loathe it. I am constantly having to ask other people in the office where to find things (as they also ask me, because none of us are suited by Redmond's thought-processes).

Then I heard in your newsletter that Office 10 would have customisable ribbons. "Woo hoo!" I thought. But now my hopes are dashed; it is not really customisable at all :-(

The TAQ looks OK, but it is also very limited. That alone can't give me my normal 5 toolbars with 152 buttons, macros, drop downs & toolbar controls stacked around my screen (3 toolbars above, 1 left, 1 bottom).

Looks like Microsoft will have a long wait to get some more money out of me.

Regards

Klinkehoffen (Sam Young)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    They say "resistant to change" like it's a bad thing. Maybe for the Microsoft Certification training business. I enjoyed life more before bulleted lists became the hot mode of thought.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Copy Excel QAT to another PC

I found this link that will help me to copy the Excel QAT toolbar at work to my home PC. Very helpful!

http://www.rondebruin.nl/imageqat.htm

The link also shows how to setup a QAT for a single workbook as well as copy a customized QAT to anther workbook.

I assume that this may work for other Office programs as I can see Word.qat and Access.qat in the same location as Excel.qat on my PC.

Keith

New Lounger
    Thanks

Too Late on QAT

Great piece on the QAT, but we sure could have used it four years ago.
    >>RSM
    >>RSM
    Are you a cruncher?
    Please visit
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred for the really helpful and useful and PRACTICAL article on using MS Word more effectively! I liked the article so much that I saved it for future reference. (as a Word doc, of course!)

Thanks
    "Word 2010 allows for some very minor tweaking of the Ribbon via the File/Options/Customize Ribbon menu"
    How is it minor tweaking compared to what you can do to the QAT? One of the better features of 2010 is that you can customise the Ribbon from the UI, unlike 2007, and I find it odd to just dismiss that option out of hand. Also stating that 2007 does not allow you to customise the Ribbon is incorrect - it does, just not via the UI (other than code that adds buttons to the AddIns tab).
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Lounger
    Thanks

no "Minimize the Ribbon" command in "All Command"

Fred,

I looked in the "All Commands" listing under "Choose Commands From" and do not see a "Minimize the Ribbon" command. Is one of us using an older/newer version of Word 2007? My version is shown in the picture below:

MS word 2007.png

I think there's a Service Pack for Word 2007 that my company has not installed, yet. Is this, perhaps, why I don't have the "Minimize the Ribbon" command?

Thanks,
    Ben

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Word 2003 still. I added exactly the functions I wanted to my right-click menu (spell check, font color, paste-special, format painter for instance). The rest are up there on my very customized toolbars. I have absolutely no trouble using Word set up this way. Convenient, speedy, everything I want right where I want it. Plus if I want, I can hide all toolbars and have all the screen real estate for my document. And still use the right click menu.

I also have Word 2007 - thought I was doing myself a huge favor by buying it and putting it on my new-at-the-time laptop. I hated it and still do - because of what they did to the toolbar (ribbon) and the QAT. I won't bother with 2010.

INHO MS should quit "rethinking" and leave perfetly good stuff alone or give us the new ones with the option of using the old toollbars if we prefer them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    FYI, you can still customise right-click menus (you can in Excel anyway - I don't really use Word) in 2007 and later.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Lounger
    Thanks
    Rory,

Saying you can customize the Ribbon in 2007 is one thing, but leaving us hanging by saying "just not via the UI..." is quite another. Please drop the other shoe and tell us how.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Also stating that 2007 does not allow you to customise the Ribbon is incorrect - it does, just not via the UI (other than code that adds buttons to the AddIns tab). "

OK so, how do you do this and what can you do?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good news IF it turns out that you can still customize right click menu in Word 2007. Thanks for posting that about Excel. What about in 2010, anyone know? If I can get that back, at least, maybe I'd try again, at least give it a shot and see if I can get used to it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Is there any way to change the colors or contrast of items on the QAT? For example, in Outlook 2007 many items like Bold, Italic, Underline, Font color, and others show up as light gray or bluish gray on somewhat darker gray, and Font size shows up as an empty box, although with a drop-down arrow. Actually being able to read the QAT easily would be an enormous help. (In Word 07 the commands in QAT are all easily readable. Why the difference?)

Thanks
    See Ron's page here. It's not as tricky as it may appear at first glance, especially if you work through his examples.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast