Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Record What You Hear

I just found out that Windows 7 no longer allows you to "record what you hear." That is, if I want to record some music playing on my PC, I understand it never gets to the sound card. Courtesy of DRM, I believe.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this?

TIA,

Kathy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Audacity should do what you want. If you decide to try it be sure to download the Beta 1.3.12 version.

You will also need the Lame Encoder. Follow the instructions for All Users.

Lastly enable Stereo Mix in Control Panel > Sound > Recording. If you don't see Stereo Mix right click on an empty spot and check Show Disabled Devices.

JB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JB, the Stereo Mix option must be specific to your sound card because I don't have that option. I noticed that Audacity had several microphone selections - I tried all of them and none recorded what I was listening to.

I know I had this working some time ago, but I can't recall if that was on Vista or on Win 7. Also I probably changed sound cards since I did this last.

Also, it might help to know if the posters are talking about 32-bit or 64-bit Win 7...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cafed00d,

Best I can determine makes no difference if 32 or 64 bit.

As you stated, the sound card can make a difference. I have Realtek on board sound.

JB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 3.png (50.3 KB, 7 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, the Stereo Mix is not an option that shows up on my Sound panel, regardless of whether disabled or disconnected (or both) is checked. Anyone of know of software options?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kathy, hello. I use Sound Recorder and it does record all that goes to my speakers. Orb -> type: Sound Recorder and voilà. JP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, JP, I'll check it out and let you know what happened.

Kathy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I checked it out. It looked to be recording (a song from youtube), but when I went to play it, it played the Sounds of Silence - that is, NADA!!

I play the ukulele and record the music to learn songs people in my group ask me to provide chords for. I'm getting pretty frustrated with Windows 7 and Microsoft's DRM fetish. I really like Windows 7, but really miss some of the features of Win XP, such as "record what you hear."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Kathy.

I am really surprised that Recoder would not play for you. Did you save it properly after the fact ? Sorry, I do not want to be insulting here. I found recoder so easy to use, on Win-7/64. I just now got it going, I will wait a minute or so and see if it will play back. I saved it to Librairies -> Music. They are playing the sound track to Carmen now.
    Total success here. Oh ! a small problem, it is picking up all the surround sounds too, my keyboard clicking and such. And I do not see a mike connected, where is it picking this up ? More searching to be done.

Search completed, I have a Webcam and its mike gets turned on when I start Recorder. Strange !

Further edit, Kathy. I just noticed that the recorder is recording ambient noise, what ever comes through the twin speakers and room noise, key clicks and my sneezing, this might not suit you unless a way is found to record whatever the machine is processing. Let me know if you find a solution. please. Play around with your setup, get a hot mike connected. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2011-02-12 at 10:16. Reason: Search ! & Search -2 !

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @handcuff36 - Sound Recorder uses the current input device to record sound. You configure the input device via the Sounds control panel applet. The issue is that Kathy's PC , or rather the sound card and drivers she is using, do not have the ability to record the sound being played by the speakers. That is, there is no way to change the current input device to something that inputs what you hear. I tried the exact same thing you did and there is NO sound in the saved WMA file.

Or wait a minute - I think I see what you are saying. You have a microphone set up on your PC and that microphone is picking up the sound from the speakers. OK, I get that. Perhaps Kathy doesn't have a microphone (I don't). And I agree that due to ambient noise, and the distortion inherent in picking up via a microphone the audio being played by speakers, that this is not a very good solution. Though a patch cord from the speaker output plug to the microphone input plug might be OK (though that still goes through the conversion from digital to analog and back to digital again).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cafed00d, hello. ( what a strange name ! )

I agree with you, not the best setup. I just played with my Recoder trying to understand what was going on. I do have an output from the speakers that could be connected to the mike input, I will try it even though I feel that it will cut out all sounds and recording anything will be hit and miss. That is it as you understand, the sound is from the whole surroundigs, including my speakers. I did not know at first, how it was recording the sound first, I have a webcam that houses a mike and there is a LED on it that turns when I clicked on the Recorder on and that caught my eye .
    Just before I got your post here, I had been plying with the Sounds and found that I coukld send voice-mail instead of typed e-mail, I had to adjust the gain for the mike give it +20db. Acceptable. Have a great day. JP.

Thanks
    This doesn't use the Recorder, but you can convert youtube to mp3 using http://www.vidtomp3.com/

Open that address in a second tab on your browser, copy the address of the youtube song that you want and paste it in the box on the vidtomp3 page. It will convert the song rather quickly, then offer it to you for download, and you can then download it anywhere you like on your PC, and play it back using Media Player. I've used it quite often, it's free, and I've had no issues with malware whatsoever.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if this is true?

Some Windows 7 Computers sold by HP and Sony have disabled sound recording for audio streaming, or direct from the sound card, and the only option is recording from the microphone.

I actually had this problem on my Windows 7 HP Laptop, and when I tried to record using Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer, I could not record directly from the sound card, even though I checked Stereo Mix in my computers Mixer/ Recording Devices. However after uninstalling , then re-installing Acoustica, this time installing in XP compatibility mode, I am now able to record "what you hear"

It's weird, but it worked.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahawk View Post
    Does anyone know if this is true?

Some Windows 7 Computers sold by HP and Sony have disabled sound recording for audio streaming, or direct from the sound card, and the only option is recording from the microphone.

I actually had this problem on my Windows 7 HP Laptop, and when I tried to record using Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer, I could not record directly from the sound card, even though I checked Stereo Mix in my computers Mixer/ Recording Devices. However after uninstalling , then re-installing Acoustica, this time installing in XP compatibility mode, I am now able to record "what you hear"

It's weird, but it worked.
    Starting with Vista and continuing with Windows 7 Microsoft changed how the mixer is accessed. See Will Acoustica MP3 Mixer work with Windows 7 for a discussion/explanation.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi Kathy, my friend uses this app with great results. http://www.roemersoftware.com/free-sound-recorder.html
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast