Thread: The movie "M"

Thanks

The movie "M"

I have a copy of "M" made in 1931, starring Peter Lorre in what I believe is one of his greatest roles and the copy I have is in German with English sub titles.
    Has any one any knowledge of this same movie being dubbed in English?
    I have checked just about every site on the net and came up with nothing.
    Please reply.
    Catz

Thanks
    I found one it's a bit expensive.Here's the link;http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/ca...eDetails/65495
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Thanks Chowur for your reply.
    I have a copy of the same DVD your link led me to, and it also is in German with English Sub-titles.
    I was hoping some one, some where dubbed this masterpiece in English and many other languages so that all the artistic energy that the director and the actors put into this movie can be viewed rather than jumping back and forth between the sub titles and the movie.
    But there are some who believe that dubbing any movie would cause it to lose it's artistic quality.
    I can see a case like that being true if some one dubbed a Clint Eastwood movie using a Betty Boop type voice for all of his lines.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Catz

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dubbing a movie can change its genre

I'm not familiar with "M", pauliez, but one of the funniest movies in my experience was never meant to be so. I visited Japan on an overnight business trip, and being unable to sleep I watched some television ... including a John Wayne western dubbed in Japanese. I could get a sense of what was being said from the context of the scene, but the sounds that came from the TV were far removed from John Wayne's "gravitas".
    No doubt the Japanese people feel the same way about some of the dubbing we have done to their movies!
    Good luck in your search.

Thanks

Mickey Mouse in M

In this 1931 movie, somewhere mid-movie, when they're searching the city for the murderer, there's a shot (maybe one second) of the inside of a store. On a shelf in the background is a Mickey Mouse doll. It's not quite the modern Mickey, but it's not Steamboat Willy either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The 2010 Criterion Collectors Edition of M has both versions. Check the site this is the most complete version restored. there was also a French version but I do not know if it has been found. Check to make sure it is the 2010 and not the 2004 which is also a collectors set.

Pete

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET:

•Restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    •The long-lost English-language version of M (on the Blu-ray edition)
    •Audio commentary by German film scholars Anton Kaes, author of the BFI Film Classics volume on M, and Eric Rentschler, author of The Ministry of Illusion: Nazi Cinema and Its Afterlife
    •Documentary on the physical history of M, from production to distribution to digital restoration
    •Conversation with Fritz Lang, a 50-minute film by William Friedkin
    •Claude Chabrol’s M le Maudit, a short film inspired by M, plus an interview with Chabrol by Pierre-Henri Gibert about Lang’s filmmaking techniques
    •Classroom audiotapes of editor Paul Falkenberg discussing M and its history, set to clips from the film
    •Video interview with Harold Nebenzal, the son of M producer Seymour Nebenzal
    •Stills gallery, with behind-the-scenes photos, and production sketches by art director Emil Hasler
    •Plus: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Stanley Kauffmann, a 1963 interview with Lang, the script for a missing scene, and contemporaneous newspaper articles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mickey Mouse in M
    It might be a Steiff
    http://antiques.about.com/od/toys/ig...Mouse-Doll.htm
    or Knickerbocker
    You can also try google search images Vintage Mickey Mouse Dolls

New Lounger
    Thanks

"M" Dubbing

Did you check at eBay?
    Please help save what few trees we have left on this planet, and don't print any of this unless necessary.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can say quite matter-of-factly that I was never on that shelf! I have been photoshopped!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Thanks
    Thanks All
    I have exhausted all of my searches and found no version of M that has been dubbed in English.
    I have the 2010 Criterion Collectors Edition and it is in German and there is a French made version of the film that is in the CCE, but it does not hold a candle to the original German version.
    Maybe I should think about Rosetta Stone. (Dumb idea... I'm almost 69 and I'm still trying to get a handle on English!)
    Catz