Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Word 2010 - not for editors/formatters!

My job entails editing / formatting documents that others have typed (yes, we do have templates, but everyone uses them in a different way!). Word 2003 made life easy - Word 2010 has made this job so onerous! Before I could keep all my relevant toolbars showing at the same time - can't do that now that the ribbons are so large. I have put everything possible on the Quick Access Toolbar, but not everything can be put on there. Headers and Footers I find a complete pain. I don't want all that choice when I insert a header or footer - its all so unnecessary and annoying! Why can't I move the header/footer toolbar around like before? It seems that where one click was necessary for a function before, now it takes two or three!
    Printing is a pain and the menu not as clear as it was - its not a matter of getting used to it - I've been using it for weeks now and still can't get my head around it. (I have been using Word since the early 90's!) ... and where has the cross gone to close a document? Its in Excel, why isn't it in Word? When I'm using my mouse all the time, I don't want to have to Ctrl W. Why can't we have the choice, like before?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lane End For This Useful Post:

JohnD1 (2011-02-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have my complete understanding. It seems to have been change for the sake of messing up 10 million users and find an excuse to charge through the nose for upgrades. I am sure that Microsoft were to blame for the global economic collapse with the release of the ribbonomics plague!

Meanwhile, you can add the Close command to the QAT.
    You can enter H&Fs by simply double-clicking in the H or F area - little reason to use the (horribly bloated) H&F menu.
    If you need to add repeated text into the H or F, create AutoText shortcuts for them.

Word 2007/10 have STEEP learning curves, especially for long-time Word users.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another option available with Word 2010 (which wasn't with Word 2007) is that the Ribbon is customizable, so that as an alternative to an overloaded Quick Access Toolbar, you can add your own elements to the Ribbon - for instance, you can create your own tab, and then group together whatever frequently-used commands you want there. Not as flexible as the toolbars of the past, but it does help.

Also note that you can minimize the Ribbon by clicking on the little arrow icon at the top right of the application window, just to the left of the blue Help circle (or Ctrl+F1 for keyboard enthusiasts).

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also hide/reveal the Ribbon by double-clicking a Ribbon Title on the app bar which is little easier than fishing for the undersized arrow.