New Lounger
    Thanks

Netflix won't D/L movies on Firefox; MS Updates

Within the past three months, my 2009 Vostro 1510 with an XP Professional downgrade won't do two things: First, Netflix, when I try to d/l a movie using Firefox (which has worked in the past) says my hardware is incompatible with their system. So I must access Netflix on I Explorer. Second, as a rule, I have automatic updates turned off. Now Windows Update refuses to install updates manually; I must switch back to automatic mode. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Best, Woodmack

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall of FF?

For Windows Update, does it scan your system and show you available updates? Have you examined the WU log?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently the latest Ff is having a problem with the silverlight app and won't play for netflix. Mozilla is aware and trying to fix that from what I am reading.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Netflix on Ff; Windows Update

Thanks for these replies. Perhaps I should do a uninstall of Ff to be sure the Silverlight plug-in is correct. Meanwhile, just tried Windows Update, using a Ff add-on that gives me an IE screen with Windows Update on it. The updates download, but do not install. I may have also goofed by disabling Microsoft Updates; this may prevent the automatic update system from working.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What happens to WU if you access it through IE?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Essentially, the same thing happens. Upodates get downloaded but then a screen comes up itemizing them and says they will not be downloaded. Thanks, Woodmack

Administrator
    Thanks
    What??? Updates get downloaded then a screen appears after they've been downloaded saying they won't be downloaded??? Do you mean the updates are identified as being applicable, you say "go ahead", then you get a message saying they won't be downloaded?

Have you tried the Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I went through the troubleshooter. I will, however, retry it. Bizarrely, yesterday, after getting the aforementioned screen, I shut the device off. In the process of its shut-down sequence, it announced it was installing the updates. When I checked later with Belarc Advisor, sure enough, they were there. Perhaps there's been a change and a re-boot is necessary. Thank-you so much for your help. Let's see what happens in a month. Best, Forrest